Throttle cable qusetion

xheadrasta

Cadet
Hi All,
Mercruiser 5.0L 305 (serial L662544) with an Alpha 1 outdrive.

When advancing the throttle it seems that the lever has to move an inch or two before I get any response from the engine. When backing down off the throttle from speed you have to move it an inch or two before the engine starts to slow also. The throttle lever, in general, just seems "sticky" too. It's just not very smooth feeling. Is there a way to adjust this "slack" out of the cable or am I due for a new one?

I've also got an issue where, when, changing from nuetral to reverse the engine will stall if I don't "jam" in gear very quickly. Because I have to move it so quickly into gear it usually ends up revving the motor and, of course, then the boat wants to lunge. It scared me the first time I did it and about scared the first mate right overboard! LOL

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Scott

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Throttle cable qusetion

Hi All,
Mercruiser 5.0L 305 (serial L662544) with an Alpha 1 outdrive.

When advancing the throttle it seems that the lever has to move an inch or two before I get any response from the engine. When backing down off the throttle from speed you have to move it an inch or two before the engine starts to slow also. The throttle lever, in general, just seems "sticky" too. It's just not very smooth feeling. Is there a way to adjust this "slack" out of the cable or am I due for a new one?

I've also got an issue where, when, changing from nuetral to reverse the engine will stall if I don't "jam" in gear very quickly. Because I have to move it so quickly into gear it usually ends up revving the motor and, of course, then the boat wants to lunge. It scared me the first time I did it and about scared the first mate right overboard! LOL

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Scott

Ayuh,... There's always some slack, 'tween shiftin', 'n the throttle pickin' up,...

For yer reverse problem, I'd think the Lower shift cable is on it's way out...

xheadrasta

Cadet
Re: Throttle cable qusetion

Thanks for the reply. I'll check on the lower shift cable.

Cheers,
Scott