3.0L mercruiser control box. Help!

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have some shifting issues with my boat. It will either go into reverse or forward after adjusting the cables, but not both, it always seems to be a little bit shy of the other gear. Anyways, I posted on here a while back and got lots of good cable help to get everything adjusted. I have measured the lower shift cable and the slop in the cable is below 9/16. The upper shift cable travels 3 1/8 from forward to reverse.

When I remove the upper shift cable from the shift bracket and put the control lever in forward WOT I can move the upper shift cable by hand in and out 1/4". when I move the cable in and out 1/4 inch I can hear it making a noice behind the control box.

Now that I have made sure of those adjustments, I am looking at the control box. i removed the panel to look at the back of the control box. The plate that the throttle and shift cable mounts onto appears to move back and forth about 1/4 inch. From looking at it, I would think that this plate should not have any play in it. I thought the uppers shift cable needed to be replaced, but when I hook the upper shift cable to the shift plate at the engine, and disconnect it from the control box, there is no slop in the cable at all. So this tells me that the 1/4 movement in the upper shift cable is the cable plate on the control box that is moving side to side about 1/4"

I have attached a picture of what my control box looks like. In my picture you can see the 2 holes at the bottom on the metal plate, that is the plate that have wiggle / 1/4 movement in it.

The way I am thinking is that since the control lever needs to move 1/4 before it starts to move the cable, that is why it is not getting the other gear. The gear that is not engaging is always only about 1/8" or less off and I think this is where it is getting lost.

Please post me your thoughts Is there a way to tighten the plate down on my control box?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-09-29 21:45:58.jpg
    Screenshot from 2012-09-29 21:45:58.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
mercruiser control box.. help

mercruiser control box.. help

I have some shifting issues with my boat. It will either go into reverse or forward after adjusting the cables, but not both, it always seems to be a little bit shy of the other gear. Anyways, I posted on here a while back and got lots of good cable help to get everything adjusted. I have measured the lower shift cable and the slop in the cable is below 9/16. The upper shift cable travels 3 1/8 from forward to reverse.

When I remove the upper shift cable from the shift bracket and put the control lever in forward WOT I can move the upper shift cable by hand in and out 1/4". when I move the cable in and out 1/4 inch I can hear it making a noice behind the control box.

Now that I have made sure of those adjustments, I am looking at the control box. i removed the panel to look at the back of the control box. The plate that the throttle and shift cable mounts onto appears to move back and forth about 1/4 inch. From looking at it, I would think that this plate should not have any play in it. I thought the uppers shift cable needed to be replaced, but when I hook the upper shift cable to the shift plate at the engine, and disconnect it from the control box, there is no slop in the cable at all. So this tells me that the 1/4 movement in the upper shift cable is the cable plate on the control box that is moving side to side about 1/4"

I have attached a picture of what my control box looks like. In my picture you can see the 2 holes at the bottom on the metal plate, that is the plate that have wiggle / 1/4 movement in it.

The way I am thinking is that since the control lever needs to move 1/4 before it starts to move the cable, that is why it is not getting the other gear. The gear that is not engaging is always only about 1/8" or less off and I think this is where it is getting lost.

Please post me your thoughts Is there a way to tighten the plate down on my control box?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-09-29 21:45:58.jpg
    Screenshot from 2012-09-29 21:45:58.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser control box.. help

Anyways, I posted on here a while back and got lots of good cable help to get everything adjusted. I have measured the lower shift cable and the slop in the cable is below 9/16. The upper shift cable travels 3 1/8 from forward to reverse.

Ayuh,.... Has the lower cable been replaced,..??

Bondo

Staff member

'n ask yer question, Only once, 'n in Only 1 forum... Thank you...

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

'n ask yer question, Only once, 'n in Only 1 forum... Thank you...

No the lower cable has not been replaced becasue the slop in the cable is within the needed 9/16.

The main question I need to know, is that plate on the back of my control box supposed to be solid or have movement in it?