Lost my skeg anode

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was out today, took the boat out. I was packing my gear down and my friend walks behind the boat and says "Isn't there suppose to be something here". The skeg you adjust to counter the prop force so you have equal steering was gone.
Flashback
I was looking everything over today before leaving. I noticed my skeg was lose. I went to adjust it and found out it just stripped out. I went over to my neighbors to see if he had any thoughts so I wouldn't have to suspend my trip for today. He had a skeg from a v-8 boat from a part he got at the end of last year. Exact same skeg, only a bit nicer. Put it on, and tightened it down.

Now how could this $15 part come off while I was out and not even notice it at all? Shouldn't it have come lose, be slammed over by the prop wash and you would go oh crap and have a bad pull to one direction? It just disappeared.
*Note to self, put thread locker on the threads next time.......

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lost my skeg anode

If you're talking about losing the anode, I lost several over a nine year period. No hitting the prop, just gone.

If your anode was set fairly close to straight, you probably wouldn't feel any difference in steering. May be there, just you weren't noticing.

BTW, thread locker. Would think twice. When anodes have been used up (about half their original size) they can sometimes be difficult to get out, especially if there is any corrosion of the bolt.

Sea ya...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Could it have fallen off on your way to the lake?
Curious....what engine do you have? do you have power steering?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have power steering, you wouldn't notice it. The power steering would prevent the feeling of feedback from the drive.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have power steering.
As for right now, I'm going to get a new one ordered but probably won't install it. I mean, I think the steering was better at the end of the outing today then it was at the beginning. I guess with my current prop it doesn't need any correction.

Still have to mess with the shifting though after all my work. I found out shifting under load is a lot different then shifting not under load for adjustments.
Shifted in my yard fine. On the water, I got dragged a few times when my friend was driving because it was still in forward while in neutral.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now, that I think of it, my neighbor did shoot the anode full of pb blaster when he was trying to work the bolt he had out. Maybe this made it easier for it to vibrate lose. I'm headed out to see if I have any dings on the prop.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I do have a slight denting in the cup of 2 of the blades. I bet this came from the anode. I inspected the prop before I left and it was perfect. So it either just barley clipped that or I hit a fish.