95 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II Water Impeller/Pump replacement

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What I learned.....

These instructions are pretty good but they fail to mention the following:
View attachment A1G2 Impeller Replace.pdf
1. Before removing the lower end remove the speedo tube. After you remove the front zinc it can be unplugged. Its behind the nut you must remove. It may have a twist and pull (old style, its white) or a push button and pull that is black. If you dont do this you break it like I did.

2. There is a filler wall that slides into the upper section that may fall out...it needs to go back in the grooves. If yours falls out like mine did it may end up in the bottom of the exaust path. Remove the prop/zinc and push it out from there.

Good Luck!

Mitchell

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 95 Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II Water Impeller/Pump replacement

Although I did watch a video of this being done before servicing my boat, it is fairly self-evident that you have to remove the speedometer tube and the remove zinc anode on the front to reach the front bolt for the lower unit.

At least it covers the meaty details correctly in the PDF on the removal and installation procedure of the water pump impeller.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Although I did watch a video of this being done before servicing my boat, it is fairly self-evident that you have to remove the speedometer tube and the remove zinc anode on the front to reach the front bolt for the lower unit.

At least it covers the meaty details correctly in the PDF on the removal and installation procedure of the water pump impeller.
just passing along the info. i watched several videos and never saw that step. also the front zinc om referring to is closest to the bow when lower unit is installed. i dont think this step is very evident when u can barely see the connector unless u know its there.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

just passing along the info. i watched several videos and never saw that step. also the front zinc om referring to is closest to the bow when lower unit is installed. i dont think this step is very evident when u can barely see the connector unless u know its there.

Good info, Mitchell2345.... Lots is learned from "hands on" experiences and unfortunately from sometimes breaking things (hopefully not the expensive things). :(
The guide you referred to above provides good basic steps from the service manual, but I find to get the best preparedness for a task, I always review the specific steps in my service manual (has those items in it that you mentioned).
Also, Achris' video of genII drive removal and installation is (IMHO) the best.... It's on here somewhere (alot!):D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well Mitchell, I finally did fix that file to show the filler wall and where it goes, and updated it in the Stickies so the new file has the information. Here is the changed page.

View attachment Filler wall page update.pdf

As far as the speedometer tube, that's in the Drive R&R file

oldjeep

Admiral

Remove the zinc? Never had to do that on mine

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remove the zinc? Never had to do that on mine

You might not HAVE to but it would sure be easier to get the front bolt off.

Don, is the silicone there to just hold it? When i put mine back in i just slid it up and it stayed. Assume when its back to gether it sits on the lower unit? Right?

Thanks,
Mitchell

Don S

Yes, the silicone is just to keep it in place if needed so it doesn't fall out during reassembly of the upper on the lower. The lower prevents it from coming out.
A socket and a ratchet makes it easy to remove the anode to remove the nut. But the file is not on every little detail of what wrench to use to make it easiest.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

1. Before removing the lower end remove the speedo tube. After you remove the front zinc it can be unplugged. Its behind the nut you must remove. It may have a twist and pull (old style, its white) or a push button and pull that is black. If you dont do this you break it like I did.

Errr???? Never had to remove the anode (and it's aluminum not zinc) to remove the speedo feed or the front nut.

Have a watch of this video. It shows quite clearly the speedo tube being removed, and you can see the anode still in place....

Removing drive: http://youtu.be/w3O63YTOhn8

Don S

He's only dropping the lower Chris, not pulling the whole drive. Had he pulled the drive, the info on the speedometer removal is there.

achris

He's only dropping the lower Chris, not pulling the whole drive. Had he pulled the drive, the info on the speedometer removal is there.

I understand that, but removing the speedo feed is the same, whether he's pulling the whole drive or just dropping the gear housing. As is the need NOT to remove the front anode.

:D

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

Errr???? Never had to remove the anode (and it's aluminum not zinc)

Your anode may be alu., but it's certainly not the only metal used in Merc anodes, the others are zinc and magnesium. Zinc for salt only applications, magnesium for fresh only, and alu. for mixed use.

achris

Your anode may be alu., but it's certainly not the only metal used in Merc anodes, the others are zinc and magnesium. Zinc for salt only applications, magnesium for fresh only, and alu. for mixed use.

I'm sorry, you have that a little wrong.

The general use of anodes is: Zinc to protest steel (will also protect aluminium), magnesium to protect Aluminium. The change made by Merc to using Aluminium to protect their special blend of aluminium alloy was because magnesium is consumed very quickly. The aluminium lasts longer.

Have a read of the attached service bulletin from 1991. The OPs drive is 1995, so they will be aluminium.

Chris.........
(Certified CSWIP 3.4U inspection controller)

Attachments

• 91_19.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 1