Stubburn Gimbal bearing ----- need help!!

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
boat 001.jpgI have an Alpha 1 outdrive that I cannot get the gimbal bearing to budge. I have tried everything I can think of or read. First I just tried the rear axle bearing remover from Autozone which has a 5 pound slide hammer. I have got enough BP Blaster to sink the boat. I have gone through the thread below and have tried most of those options as you can see by the photos. I have drilled holes and tried the slide hammer plus I have also heated it up with a propane torch and nothing. In the photo with the plate steel I had 2 3/4" tube steel with support and ended up bending the tube steel. I have cranked so hard I was affraid of breaking the housing.

Has anyone ever broken the housing using these methods? I may re-rig it and try it again. May even try to drill a few more hole.

My last resort would be to take the bearing out of the retainer ring and then just cut the retainer ring out. Since I have all those holes in it anyways it looks like my best option right now.

Anyone have any other ideas for a desperate boater?

Thanks

boat 002.jpg

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364003

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Stubburn Gimbal bearing ----- need help!!

Nevermind.....I had to just get a little madder at it. Plus I put allthread rods into the steel tubes to they would not bend. It came out in pieces but it is still out. On to cleaning up the mess.

gimbal 001.jpggimbal 002.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Yep, that definitely looks out...

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

So why was it so tough to get out? Was it just corroded or rusted?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I use a 15lb slide hammer and I have NEVER had one give me any problems... :D (Just show them you mean business and they 'cave' pretty quick)...

nwboater45

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So why was it so tough to get out? Was it just corroded or rusted?

Corroded....my guess it was the original bearing and the boat is an 89.

I use a 15lb slide hammer and I have NEVER had one give me any problems... :D (Just show them you mean business and they 'cave' pretty quick)...

I could not find a larger slider hammer. You can see from the back side of that bearing how nasty it was.

Speakrdude

Ensign

That picture you posted first is my "preferred" method.