outdrive wont shift into gear

Fireman05

Recruit
While I was under power the boat stopped driving. I noticed a distinct gear oil burning smell And noticed the prop was turning very slow or no at all. My boat is a 2005 18 ft bayliner, 3.0 I/o mercruiser With a alpha 1 generation 2 out drive. I have looked at all the shift cables and everything seems yo be working fine there. I have been told that it could be the gimbal bearing that has gone bad. Anyone else think this or have this problem?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: outdrive wont shift into gear

unlikely, have you checked/ changed the gear oil in the outdrive?

Fireman05

Recruit

Yes I checked it. It doest smell burnt, its clean like it was recently changed and it was full to the appropriate level.

Fireman05

Recruit

The day I was out and broke down the boat still would go into gear and stay in gear at low throttle and then after approx 5 minutes it wouldn't go into gear at all.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

While I was under power the boat stopped driving. I noticed a distinct gear oil burning smell And noticed the prop was turning very slow or no at all. My boat is a 2005 18 ft bayliner, 3.0 I/o mercruiser With a alpha 1 generation 2 out drive. I have looked at all the shift cables and everything seems yo be working fine there. I have been told that it could be the gimbal bearing that has gone bad. Anyone else think this or have this problem?

Always fun to listen to laymen at the ramp try and diagnose your problem....

Symptoms (although pretty sparse at this point) sound like it could be a spun prop hub, but also could be bad engine coupling, or probs in the drive itself.

Did you look at the engine water temp gauge while this was going on? constant, or rising? (after five minutes, you would have noticed an increase in temp if the impeller was not turning due to probs in the coupling or upper drive/vertical shaft)
Have you drained drive oil and looked at quantity/quality? (ok, re-read the subsequent posts again, so oil appears ok...that's a plus)
Have you checked for spun prop hub?
Is the boat out of water so you can perform static shifter-prop turning checks (fwd-n-rev)?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I would suspect a bad coupler, the burning smell could be the rubber in the coupler. Start the engine (briefly on muffs) and see if the driveshaft behind the engine turns with the engine.