type 1 bellows install

mahend

Cadet
ok installed new ujoint bellows on bell housing glued and clamped, new shift cable installed exhaust bellows on gimble housing all clamps facing just like book shows. glued otherside of bellows but when i go to install i cant get it to slide on far enough before the glue locks it into place gimble side has raised bumps that bite into boot but feels like clamp area is only on aboute 3/4 of sleeve any ideas on how to get it to slide on further and how the #%* do you get at the clamps to tighten

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: type 1 bellows install

ok installed new ujoint bellows on bell housing glued and clamped, new shift cable installed exhaust bellows on gimble housing all clamps facing just like book shows. glued otherside of bellows but when i go to install i cant get it to slide on far enough before the glue locks it into place gimble side has raised bumps that bite into boot but feels like clamp area is only on aboute 3/4 of sleeve any ideas on how to get it to slide on further and how the #%* do you get at the clamps to tighten

OR..... Get the exhaust "Tube" which only clamps to the transom assy and not the gimbal assy. Easy as pie. No tools, no glue, no fuss and takes 5 minutes. Only 2 downsides...... 1. Stupid tube costs as much as bellows, which I don't understand since it's just a simple tube and probably costs 1/3 as much to make. 2. Exhaust note a little louder when on plane and trimmed out. But some find that is the "desired effect".

mahend

Cadet

its not the exhaust bellows but the u joint bellows im having problems with the transome side wont go on far enough to get a full clamping surface....but looking at it with fresh eyes i wonder if i remove grease zerks from the side of bell if i will be able to push it on farther, but i will have to get it off now that the adhesive is set so i can start over. or do you think it will be fine it appears to be on far enough for the clamp to work except on the bottom (by exhaust) maybe 1/8 of clamp is not on fully. this bellows has ridge in it but my old one did not i was told by mikes alphas to use this style to get better sealing, and the ridge is pushed on past the raised bumps any thoughts?

mahend

Cadet

let me make this simple how far on should the u-joint bellows go on to be safe??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When the raised ring in the bellows fits down inside the groove, all the way around. If it's not in all the way around, it will leak.

Clean all the old glue off both the bellows and the gimbal housing. Then but some glue on the bellows, and while still wet, slide it into place and let it dry. Then put the clamp on.

mahend

Cadet

don s. my bellows has raised ring but i dont have groove in gimble i did question it but was told by mikes aplhas to to use it for better sealing , my gimble has noduals all the way around it and the raised ring is past them just seams like it needs to go further. i will try and get it all apart and start over.

Don S

Then you have the wrong bellows. No, it won't seal better, would probably leak quicker. Mikes may not be the best place to deal with.

Get the right bellows, and then you will have a leak proof seal. The words "type 1 bellows" doesn't give much info.

mahend

Cadet

thought that might be your answear..if i were to flush cut the ridge off do you think ok or just spend the money for different bellows.

Don S

Like I said before, get the right part.

mahend

Cadet

just found it through this site ordering now...mike had good reviews but now i know . thanks for the help

fishrdan

Admiral

if i were to flush cut the ridge off do you think ok.

DonS probably won't agree with this, but I have cut the bellow ridge off to fit my MC-1. Though, you have to be VERY meticulous not to gouge the sealing surface and make sure to slice the ridge off exactly flush, use new razor blades.

For tightening the clamp, I use several 1/4" extensions and a swivel with a couple wraps of electrical tape around it. A flex extension is supposed to work well also.

J4765.jpg

mahend

Cadet

fishrdan
i just trimmed with razor and installed im still not completly satasfied but it is on further than before and i know the clamps are tight everything is togethor just need bellows tool to pull on exhaust and get new bolts and studs that corroded from wet transome...thanks for help

Pete104

Lieutenant

fishrdan
i just trimmed with razor and installed im still not completly satasfied but it is on further than before and i know the clamps are tight everything is togethor just need bellows tool to pull on exhaust and get new bolts and studs that corroded from wet transome...thanks for help
You guys are goofy!

fishrdan

Admiral

You guys are goofy!

Probably :D

When I did my first bellows job that had previously been done by a professional shop in town (supposedly one of the good shops in town), they had trimmed the ridge off the bellows too... I'm not saying it's right, and that you shouldn't get the correct parts, but it works as long as the ridge is trimmed properly.