Mercruiser 260 will not crank

bstrap

Cadet
Got it the boat and the motor would not crank at all. Did some trouble shooting and I know the battery is good, tested started and it cranked with test button, power to the ignition switch, and moved the gear shift. Motor still does not crank. Gauges move when key turned but that is all. I di noticed a yellow wire that comes out by the reset button and goes to a red box mounted om the boat in front of the engine. Anyone know what that is or does. Boat is a 1985 Searay SRV 230.

bstrap

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 260 will not crank

Thanks Don. I have tried a lot of the tests but will go and try again. Any idea what the red box with yellow wire coming from the slave solenoid might be? It looks like it got wet and I have not got to looking at it yet

bstrap

Cadet

Does anyone know the function of this box. It is mounted in front of the motor on my searay and has a yellow wire off the slave noid from the "C" termianl(as per Don's instructions) .Midland-20120927-00001.jpgMidland-20120927-00002.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I've never seen anything like it,...

Must be something from a PO...

scarpint

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For optional hour meter that was never installed? :confused:

bstrap

Cadet

There is an hour meter but it is not working. If this is shorted out (it did get wet) and it is connected to slave solenoid, could it cause motor not to start.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is an hour meter but it is not working. If this is shorted out (it did get wet) and it is connected to slave solenoid, could it cause motor not to start.
Yeah, but what is it, and what is it for? It is not OEM, nor any type after market thing I can remember seeing. Obviously no one else has either.
So the fact is, we can't tell you how to fix a box of wires or what it is if we don't know what is in it.

bstrap

Cadet

Thanks. I was hoping someone might know what it might be. If it is not something vital to the boat running, I will disconnect until I can figure out what it is. Let will then follow Don procedure to see if I can get the motor to run. Thanks again

bstrap

Cadet

Hi everyone. Thanks for the guidance as I finally got the boat to start. It turns out that the "red box" is a gas monitor that was an option for Searay in the mid 80's. This monitor cuts the power to engine if fumes are detected. Power to the slave solenoid passes through this monitor. When it gets old wet and corroded it will not let the engine start. I ran a wire from the neutral switch to the slave solenoid and away it went. Had to do alot of digging as no one really knew what this was around here either. Thanks again.