• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

New 5.7 distributor installation

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 5.7 distributor installation

Let me start by saying I purchased an 86 boat with a 5.7 mercruiser that was not running. After going over it there was no spark. I tested the old Thunderbolt ignition system and after determining that the box was bad I didn't want to put alot of money in the old system so I bought a new Delco Voyager ignition system. I took the old distributor out and put the new one in with the rotor pointing at the same point on the engine as the old dist was. The motor won't start and I don't know if I have the timing close enough. My problem is even though the rotor points at the same plug you could make it point at any plug by turning the dist and cap and then the timing would be way off. If I put the motor at TDC on the #1 cylinder and then align the rotor up with the #1 plug that should work but you can still spin the dist and cap around and make it point at any plug. I guess my question is how do you know when the dist bottom is where it's supposed to be? I know I'll have to adjust the timing once I get it running but I want to get it in the ballpark. Thanks for any advice.

Re: New 5.7 distributor installation

To ensure the distributor is all the way down, just look at the base of the distributor housing. There's a boss on it that the clamp plate locks onto. When that boss is hard against the boss on the intake manifold, you're there. If it resists going all the way down, the oil pump tang is not lined up. Here is the procedure for putting the distributor back in the engine is in the service manual. You have?

Chris......
    Attached Files
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

Get Top Dead Center by bringing the crankshaft around to the timing mark on the crank pulley-harmonic balancer assembly, and then stick something in the #1 spark plug hole to make sure the #1 piston is up to the top. If it's not there go another 360 degrees on the crank and confirm TDC. Now install the distributor making sure to catch the oil pump drive on the bottom end of the distributor shaft. Put the #1 spark plug lead from the distributor cap 8 degrees counterclockwise to the rotor, just eyeball it and snug it there. Start it up, get it warm and set the timing with a light.
      1989 Baja Sunsport 196, Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha 1
      Moultonborough Neck, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

Comment

Yes I have the manual and yes the dist is all the way down. Maybe I'm not explaining it right. At TDC I point the rotor at plug wire #1. But with the hold down clamp loose you can turn the dist all the way around (and the cap also since it's attached to the dist). The rotor does not turn but by turning the dist you are pointing the rotor at any plug you want. Maybe it doesn't matter as long as the rotor points at #1 and your firing order is correct? That means your wiring connections to the dist could point back or front it doesn't matter as long as at TDC your rotor points at #1?

Comment

Yup point it to # 1 on the cap and go back a little. Some folks like to put the distributor in so the rotor is pointing to the front port side of the motor, where the #1 hole is. But you don't have to.
          Just get the #1 plug wire on the rotor tip and you are good.
          1989 Baja Sunsport 196, Mercruiser 5.7, Alpha 1
          Moultonborough Neck, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

Comment

Correct but needs to TDC on compresion stroke...... then point rotor to no 1 plug wire to no 1 plug....

You can make no 1 on the cap anyone you want!
            1986 21' Celebrity BR - 350 Mercrusier I/O 260 H.P....Engine Serial #B427596
            1981 18' Checkmate Eluder - Original 898 I/O engine....Replacement engine 1979-350....Serial#-Unknown
            Current..... Completed Restoration....Now on the water!
            1999 GTX Sea-Doo

Comment

You need to find #1 TDC on the compression stroke. It's a 4 stroke engine, so the piston is at TDC twice in a complete 4 cycle.
              Find it this way http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427081

Then you set the distributor in with the housing aimed the way you want it, and also turn the rotor so it's where you want it aimed. Then you put #1 spark plug wire lined up with the the rotor.
              Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
              That is what the forums are for.
              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

If you are having trouble finding if the piston is TDC here is an easy way to find out. Pull the plug for the #1 plug, put you finger over the hole and crank it over till the compression blows it away from the hole. Then you know it is there. I like to point the rotor to the #1 cylinder ...easier for me. Then go from there.
                Current boat: 2011 Tahoe 216WT 5.0 MPI / Alpha 1.47:1 gear ratio / 17p SS prop. /Monster Tower

Former boats: 1969 Glasspar, 1978 Crestliner and 1997 Starcraft 1810SS

Comment

Originally posted by theBrownskull View Post
                  If you are having trouble finding if the piston is TDC here is an easy way to find out. Pull the plug for the #1 plug, put you finger over the hole and crank it over till the compression blows it away from the hole. Then you know it is there. I like to point the rotor to the #1 cylinder ...easier for me. Then go from there.
                  Originally posted by NHGuy View Post
                  Get Top Dead Center by bringing the crankshaft around to the timing mark on the crank pulley-harmonic balancer assembly, and then stick something in the #1 spark plug hole to make sure the #1 piston is up to the top. If it's not there go another 360 degrees on the crank and confirm TDC. Now install the distributor making sure to catch the oil pump drive on the bottom end of the distributor shaft. Put the #1 spark plug lead from the distributor cap 8 degrees counterclockwise to the rotor, just eyeball it and snug it there. Start it up, get it warm and set the timing with a light.

your both wrong. since the timing indicator will ALWAYSpoint to the same point when the piston is up for BOTH the compression stroke AND the intake stroke. the crank and harmonic damper are bolted together, only the cam spins at half speed.

you have to make sure your at TDC of the compression stroke as Don mentioned. Follow the link that Don posted, or the article that Achris posted.
                  1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 - VP AQ271C / 290DP "Rock'n Along"
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=500145
                  1970 Wooster Hellion 7' of cool mini boat with a Merc 9.8
                  Recent Boats
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - MC 5.0 / Alpha I series II "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI - OMC 3.0 / OMC Stringer 400 "Ship Happens"

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Comment

The intake stroke will not blow you finger off of the hole. The compression will. Try it and find out you can feel and hear the difference.
                    Current boat: 2011 Tahoe 216WT 5.0 MPI / Alpha 1.47:1 gear ratio / 17p SS prop. /Monster Tower

Comment

Don S method is the correct way, but if the person is having a hard time figuring if it is on the compression stroke, with out removing the valve covers and looking, it works.

Comment

Originally posted by theBrownskull View Post
                        The intake stroke will not blow you finger off of the hole. The compression will. Try it and find out you can feel and hear the difference.
                        both will blow your finger off the spark plug hole on a marine engine. however the pressure built up over the compression stroke is stronger than the minute amount of pressure built up between the exhaust and intake stroke.
                        1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 - VP AQ271C / 290DP "Rock'n Along"
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=500145
                        1970 Wooster Hellion 7' of cool mini boat with a Merc 9.8
                        Recent Boats
                        2002 SeaRay 190BR - MC 5.0 / Alpha I series II "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                        1984 Avanti 170DLI - OMC 3.0 / OMC Stringer 400 "Ship Happens"

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Comment

Thanks as always guys you have answered my question. Tonight I will check the distributor position and when I"m satisfied it's close I'll continue. One step at a time I want to get this project boat running so I can spend the rest of the winter working on it getting it ready for 2013.

Comment

Working...
                          X