2008 Starcraft with Mercruiser 4cyl I/O Steering problem

Jsorenson22

Recruit
At any throttle, I have a dead spot in the steering every 1/3 rotation of the steering wheel. it is difficult to keep the boat going straight becuase the dead spot leads to over-correcting direction. It is especially poor at low throttle. The boat snakes across the water.

cr2k

Captain
Re: 2008 Starcraft with Mercruiser 4cyl I/O Steering problem

Sound like you need to replace the helm. Helm and cable kits are fairly inexpensive.

Jsorenson22

Recruit

Thank you for the note. Sadly, this boat only has about 5 hours on it. I have been complaining about this since the boat was new. The dealer where I bought it claims there is nothing wrong, and the service manager admitted that they never took it out on the water. But before I dump the boat and take a financial hit, I wanted to check to see if I could find another answer other than what the dealer is telling me.

Bondo

Staff member

Thank you for the note. Sadly, this boat only has about 5 hours on it. I have been complaining about this since the boat was new. The dealer where I bought it claims there is nothing wrong, and the service manager admitted that they never took it out on the water. But before I dump the boat and take a financial hit, I wanted to check to see if I could find another answer other than what the dealer is telling me.

Ayuh,.... Donno what yer callin' a Dead Spot,....

Disconnect the cable from the drive, to isolate the issue, 'n then decide what needs fixin', or replacin'...

As far as drivin' straight, or wanderin',...
Are ya sure it's not just v-hull wander,...

Most v-hulls, with I/Os do it...