Lack of audible alarm and no fuel pump priming when key turned to start

Bayliner288

Recruit
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot my starting problem. I have a Bayliner 288 with a Mercruser 350 EFI. Today I tried starting it for the first time in a month, and although it would crank, it would not start. I noticed that the audible alarm did not sound, so I began checking fuses but didn't find any burned out. I also noticed that the fuel pump did not click like it would normally do when the fuel pump primes. I'm not sure if these two issues are connected, but assume they are and that it is more likely a fuse or electronics issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Lack of audible alarm and no fuel pump priming when key turned to start

Do we have a serial number (or year)?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have an engine serial number, Bayliner 288 with a Merc 350 EFI means very little.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

First place to look is the emergency tether (kill switch/deadman switch) it should be near your throttle/shift handle. If it is off or bad it will cause your symptoms.

Bayliner288

Recruit

First place to look is the emergency tether (kill switch/deadman switch) it should be near your throttle/shift handle. If it is off or bad it will cause your symptoms.

I did make sure that the tether was in place and fully engaged, but I don't know how I would confirm the switch itself is not bad. Any advise?