Out drive won't go back on.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice
I have the pre alpha out drive, and I recently took it off to repair the water pump. When I took it off, I made sure it was in forward gear. I've repaired the water pump, and I'm ready to put the out drive back on, but the darn thing doesn't want to go back on. I put it in neutral and tried, and I even tried it with it in forward. I've also lowered the bow, and raised the bow.

Anyone got any tips?

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Out drive won't go back on.

Do you have an alignment tool?

The shifter and outdrive both have to be in forward for the install. The outdrive is in forward when the shift shaft is pointing straight ahead and the prop is locked when you rotate it CCW.

See Ziggy's photo attached of the shift shaft (not in forward)

Did you also reinstall the lower half back with the upper half while they were both in forward?

Attachments

• Ziggy photo.jpg
    Ziggy photo.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First, no such thing as a Pre-Alpha, you have a MC-1 drive (aka Mercruiser one drive)

Here are the procedures to reinstall the outdrive. NOTE: this is assuming you have already checked the alignment, if it's out of alignment, you may never get it back on.

View attachment A1 R&R.pdf

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

I got to check that I got the upper and lower units together right. Can't believe I let that slip my mind. Thanks Eric, I really appreciate it! And Don, thanks a lot for the procedures, that will help me out a ton! I'm at work right now, so I can't check anything yet. But I'll probably have more questions a little later.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The little orange tool pictured here helps a bunch. It is certainly possible to install without it, but it eliminates one less thing to have to hold in place while you put the outdrive in place. Well worth the dollar or two the tool costs!

DSCF8622.jpg

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Where you get that from Mark? That looks cool.

Eric, what if my prop spins both ways?

ziggy

Admiral

what if my prop spins both ways?
then the lower is in neutral. the pic of my drive is in neutral. prop spins both directions, no feel, no sound... both the helm and the drive need to be in fwd. the shift shaft coupler slides together as you slide the drive on. both the shift shaft in the bell housing and the shift shaft in the upper need to be facing fore and aft or they can't slide together.

Last edited:

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I really appreciate the help. I'm off in about 15 mins, then on my way to do all this. Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You MUST put the drive in forward and the helm control in forward to install the drive. That's so the shift shafts will line up and go together and not bend and break things. Look at that .pdf file I posted.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Don, the whole post didn't show up till after my post.