Installing Temp Sender 3.0L Mercruiser

eavega

Lieutenant
Hey folks

I was trying to diagnose a problem on my 88 Stingray (3.0 L mercruiser) with the water temperature gauge not working. I verified the gauge was working, the sending wire was not shorted anywhere, and finally verified the temp sender was functioning. I think I may have solved the problem in that the temp sender connection may have been loose or not making good contact. Anyway, I was going to re-install the temp sender, but wanted to know if it required any kind of sealant on the threads? It didn't look like any thread sealant or lock was used, and the manual doesn't say much about the temp sender except that it can't be tested (liars) and should be replaced if suspected faulty. since it sits in a water loop that is somewhat under pressure, I didn't want an inadvertent leak. I did see where on several threads it says not to use any teflon tape. Any help would be appreciated.

Rgds

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Installing Temp Sender 3.0L Mercruiser

Teflon tape is better then nothing. I would recommend Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Use a paste type thread sealer or even some gasket sealer works great, but leave the teflon tape at home for your plumbing systems.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you are going to use a sealant -- Just be sure you have an elecrtical connection as the the sender housing must be grounded for the gauge to work. Its easy enough to check with an ohm meter by going from the housing to any engine ground point.

eavega

Lieutenant

If you are going to use a sealant -- Just be sure you have an elecrtical connection as the the sender housing must be grounded for the gauge to work.

That is an excellent point! I think I will just install dry and work some gasket sealer around the top surface only.

-E

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I used sealant on mine had no ground cleaned it off after removal and used dialectric greease and have had no issue since. I you have just the push on right angle connector make sure it's making good contact and lube it liberally with the above dialectric.