some goop in drive bellows

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i've had my drive off a few times now and i've replaced the bellows and the drive to bellhousing gaskets, i still get some residual goop in the bottom of the drive bellows that i have to soak up with a rag. it's not completely full but there's about 1/2" of watery, greasy slurry that sits in the bottom of the bellows.

when i first got the boat, the welch plug was missing and the big drive o-ring seal was missing as well as someone tried to fix the bellhousing gasket with silicon. needless to say, the drive bellows was full of water. it was trickling in through the gimbal bearing into the bilge.

i pulled the boat out, replaced the bellows, gimbal bearing, installed a new welch plug, changed the gear oil and installed it with a new gasket set (quicksilver OEM).

i know the entire bellows isn't filling with water because it's not weeping through the gimbal at the dock like it was before.

i'm new to sterndrives, is it possible to have a bone-dry bellows or is it common to have a little something in there on an older drive?

also, what seals the shifter cavity on the drive side, i noticed the shifter cable bellows only seals the gimbal side and then is a cone shape but doesn't look like it goes all the way to seal the drive side?

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Re: some goop in drive bellows

Dear crystal ball - can you tell me what this person has for engine and outdrive. Something like the year, size of engine or ID number from the block and outdrive!

500dollar744ti

oh my, so sorry about that, duh!

1990 MCM 350 magnum, alpha 1, gen 1, 270hp.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

i've had my drive off a few times now and i've replaced the bellows and the drive to bellhousing gaskets, i still get some residual goop in the bottom of the drive bellows that i have to soak up with a rag. it's not completely full but there's about 1/2" of watery, greasy slurry that sits in the bottom of the bellows.

when i first got the boat, the welch plug was missing and the big drive o-ring seal was missing as well as someone tried to fix the bellhousing gasket with silicon. needless to say, the drive bellows was full of water. it was trickling in through the gimbal bearing into the bilge.

i pulled the boat out, replaced the bellows, gimbal bearing, installed a new welch plug, changed the gear oil and installed it with a new gasket set (quicksilver OEM).

i know the entire bellows isn't filling with water because it's not weeping through the gimbal at the dock like it was before.

i'm new to sterndrives, is it possible to have a bone-dry bellows or is it common to have a little something in there on an older drive?

also, what seals the shifter cavity on the drive side, i noticed the shifter cable bellows only seals the gimbal side and then is a cone shape but doesn't look like it goes all the way to seal the drive side?

I did not see where you had replaced the big flat o-ring that seals the drive from outside water entering. Item 14 in the image.
AlphaOnebellhousinglayout.jpg
Did you replace the o-ring between the inlet water galley of the upper unit and the gimble housing? Item 13 in the image.

Yes a bone dry bellows is the norm.

500dollar744ti

yes, #13 was replaced.

had an issue with water entering my outdrive (i think prop shaft was bent), could it be seeping from the outdrive at the top somewhere into the bellows? i am replacing the whole outdrive, it did kind of look like watery gear oil in there.

i just got the boat a couple months ago and i'm trying to sift through all the mis-maintenance of the previous owner which is turning out to be extensive. the only thing he had records to show he did right was winterizing the motor and changing oil.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Draining the gear lube and pressure testing the drive is the only way to find a leak. Blindly replacing seals is not the way to do it.

500dollar744ti

Draining the gear lube and pressure testing the drive is the only way to find a leak. Blindly replacing seals is not the way to do it.

i'm learning as i go, i've worked on cars for many years, never touched a sterndrive until now.

i blew my old outdrive, not by ignorance but more lack of knowledge. i have a great ability to learn and i'm an excellent auto mechanic, just need to get the right info.

should i use a radiator pressure tester to apply pressure or how should i go about testing the good/used outdrive that i bought?

my old outdrive got water in it, locked up and stripped a gear. i want to make sure i do right on this next one.

i am going to re-assemble the old drive and pressure test it as practice to find where the water got in.

Bondo

Staff member

i'm learning as i go, i've worked on cars for many years, never touched a sterndrive until now.

i blew my old outdrive, not by ignorance but more lack of knowledge. i have a great ability to learn and i'm an excellent auto mechanic, just need to get the right info.

should i use a radiator pressure tester to apply pressure or how should i go about testing the good/used outdrive that i bought?

my old outdrive got water in it, locked up and stripped a gear. i want to make sure i do right on this next one.

i am going to re-assemble the old drive and pressure test it as practice to find where the water got in.

Ayuh,.... Go spend a few hours, up in the Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...

You'll learn All sortsa stuff 'bout yer drive, 'n the marine aspects of yer motor.... ;)