outdrive major leak!

stewdog09

Cadet
I have been working on my project boat all summer and finally today got it out to the river. i backed it in and tried to start it but it would not but i know the choke always sticks so i popped open the engine doors and i had a foot of water in the engine compartment. i quickly pulled the boat out to see where it was leaking and the water was gushing out from under the driveshaft bellows. i had checked all my bellows before going out so i cannot figure out where the water is getting in. the bilge does not fill with water with the muffs on, only when the boat is in the water. i brought the boat back home and pulled the outdrive and the only thing i could see wrong was the thick rubber seal that goes on the u joint knuckle was broken and laying in the bellows. any ideas? thanks alot

1987 454 magnum alpha 1 gen 1

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: outdrive major leak!

If the thick rubber seal you speak of is 14 in the diagram below. That could certainly be the cause of the water in your boat. Though water coming out from under the bellows would not go along with that issue I would think. Have you checked out your shift cable bellows? (the small one to the right of the exhaust bellows) I would certainly give that a look over. Sounds to me like that may be your issue possibly.
O-Mercruiser-Alpha-One-bell-housing-layout.jpg

stewdog09

Cadet

Yep 14 is the one that tore but I John labatts helped me find the real problem, when I bought the boat the bolts on the tilt rams were loose and there was no oil in the outdrive, among other hints I caim to the conclusion that they had thrown a spare outdrive on the boat to sell it. Anyways the boat is through hull exhaust and there is no exhaust block off plate on the bottom of the outdrive mount, I am quite sure but help me out here that all the water came in through there since the water came in and came out very fast

NHGuy

Captain

If that's open you could look right through it.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep 14 is the one that tore but I John labatts helped me find the real problem, when I bought the boat the bolts on the tilt rams were loose and there was no oil in the outdrive, among other hints I caim to the conclusion that they had thrown a spare outdrive on the boat to sell it. Anyways the boat is through hull exhaust and there is no exhaust block off plate on the bottom of the outdrive mount, I am quite sure but help me out here that all the water came in through there since the water came in and came out very fast

Ayuh,.... That oughta be quite Obvious,....

If it Ain't, I'd guess it's a Rotten Transom...

stewdog09

Cadet

ya it became quite obvious when i put a flashlight inside and looked on the outside. this is my first I/O, what is my best course of action here. should i make an aluminum plate and jbweld it in on the outside or am i hanging myself upside down behind the motor to fab up a block off plate.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

A block off plate is the only choice if you can get to it. They sell them already made up

If not time to pull the motor....... And do it right..

You can jury rig from the outside...but the chances are slim to none....

Good Luck!

stewdog09

Cadet

I know I am going to get a lot of flack from this but here's what I came up with. At the throat of the exhaust bellows where the y pipe should leave the transom there is a oval shaped exhaust port. I went to Walmart and bought a rubber bouncy ball that is larger than the oval port. I pushed the ball through the bellows tube until it hit the port and then I hammered it in so it's a tight fit and siliconed around the whole thing. At the other end of the bellows where the vertical shift rod is I also worked another one of those balls in but not touching the shift rod(extremely tight fit) and siliconed around that on both sides. Finally I took a peice of tractor trailer tire inner tube rubber and covered the bellows coupler towards the rear and then put the bellows and clamp back on. I have already checked the clearance between the balls when the outdrive is all the way down and they don't come close to touching. It sounds like a hack Job and I know it is haha but it looks good. I will get a block off plate next year but this will do for now.

Bondo

Staff member

I know I am going to get a lot of flack from this but here's what I came up with. At the throat of the exhaust bellows where the y pipe should leave the transom there is a oval shaped exhaust port. I went to Walmart and bought a rubber bouncy ball that is larger than the oval port. I pushed the ball through the bellows tube until it hit the port and then I hammered it in so it's a tight fit and siliconed around the whole thing. At the other end of the bellows where the vertical shift rod is I also worked another one of those balls in but not touching the shift rod(extremely tight fit) and siliconed around that on both sides. Finally I took a peice of tractor trailer tire inner tube rubber and covered the bellows coupler towards the rear and then put the bellows and clamp back on. I have already checked the clearance between the balls when the outdrive is all the way down and they don't come close to touching. It sounds like a hack Job and I know it is haha but it looks good. I will get a block off plate next year but this will do for now.

Ayuh,.... Have fun, 'n wear a Pfd...

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Not seeing what ya got...but what about the idle relief ports on the transome assembly?

Keep that bailing bucket ready :eek:

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

silicon and bouncy balls in the exhaust outlets?

i can see you now, planing into the marina through the no-wake zone and dumping it on the launch ramp.

stewdog09

Cadet

I blocked off the side holes with a cork and job weld. Why do you think the ball would fail?

oldjeep

Admiral

Bouncy balls, corks, silicone and JB weld. Run out of duct tape and bailing wire?

stewdog09

Cadet

Bouncy balls, corks, silicone and JB weld. Run out of duct tape and bailing wire?

yeah fresh out, unfortunately i was out of expanding foam and hair spray too.

these balls donot break down after being compressed for a couple days. my dog chews on these same ones for months outside and they are unscathed.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Were all Joshen ya!

Ya kinda expected it didnt ya...........

KEEP AN EYE ON IT AT ALL TINES AND DONT SINK YOUR BOAT!

stewdog09

Cadet

While i have your attention I do have one more question though. I took my boat out for the first time today and it ran great BUT it only likes to go 35mph (2800rpm) without bogging out. If i give it more gas it almost dies right out until i pull it back. I think it was because I was using an auxilary 10 gal fuel tank and the pickup was too small. bad fuel filter? any ideas

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

not following advise from the experts here and be a bad idea! good luck to you.100_1814.jpg