Outdrive Toke Seal Leak

GaJeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a MC-1 Outdrive and am currently replacing my engine coupler and gimbal bearing. Being that the tear down is slow due to funds and time I set the outdrive aside while waiting on parts. I think I may have made a mistake. I had my outdrive hanging on the crane from the top hook. We needed to use the crane so to keep everything together I LAID THE OUTDRIVE DOWN on its side in the boat. The driveshaft is already disconnected and there is nothing but the yoke on the outdrive. Today I went to install my new u-joints and noticed a small puddle under the yoke and on the cardboard it was sitting on. This was not leaking upon removal but is now from laying on its side. Is this of any concern? The vent hole is below this so oil wouldn't be sitting there as it would at a lower point. Also if it needs to be replaced is there a special tool to remove this ring?

Thanks in advance
Jeff

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Outdrive Toke Seal Leak

Recommend drain the oil out and do a pressure test to confirm you have a problem at that seal. if it is (and it sounds like it), You'll need a torque wrench, a ring spanner wrench and the right service manual steps to help you change the seal.

GaJeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks... This outdrive is all original and never.... ever been off. It's a 1981. I guess it had to go at some point. Just weird that it wasnt before and laying it down made it leak. Oh well... So I will need a special tool to remove the yoke ring?

Jeff

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

OMG!! 31 years old and never been off? go ahead....pull the other leg!!!!! Un fathomable!

Some people will tell you that you can use a couple half inch thick pieces of bar stock, or some other such gerry-rig, but you will eventually need the correct spanner to torque the ring back on per the manual instructions. There are other nuances you want to pay special attention to during this work, such as running torque, etc... But the first thing should be the pressure test. because you'll want to do that after you replace the seal to check your work anyways. With drive that old, with virtually no maintenance(?), I would suspect the yoke shaft is worn, contributing to the leak, so you should be ready to replace that, too... HTH:cool:

GaJeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to do a pressure check on it tomorrow to we what I've got. Nothing better than hearing bad news that you were hoping NOT to hear. Found a grease fitting cap on the gimbal bearing fitting when I got it. I had to tear it down for a bellow and found this grease fitting appeared to have never been greased or been many many years without so my bearing was toast.

Anyways thanks for the advice
Jeff

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure you didn't cause a problem with it by laying it on its side. That alone would not cause the seal to start leaking.

GaJeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got home from work, drained the oil and replaced the o-ring on the drain plug. I hooked up the pressure gauge and let sit all day and turned the shaft every hour or so. Started at 15psi and 13hr later it's still holding at 15. Going to let it sit overnight and do a check in the morning. Is it possible to still have a yoke leak even though the pressure test checking out? It's not a whole lot of work to pull the drive again if it does leak but it is extra work. Advice and comment on this please.

Jeff

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I would say you are good to go - fill it and go boating.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Is it possible to still have a yoke leak even though the pressure test checking out?
no. not probable.
sounds like the puddle was something else spilled on the drive while it was laying there.

GaJeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help... Time to put it back together and take it for a spin.

Jeff