• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Engine turns over slow if at all

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine turns over slow if at all

Help. My 305cu.in Mercruiser won't spin fast enough to start. I suspect the starter, but I've not run into this situation with a starter before.

I haven't started the engine in about two months as I've been cleaning the ethanol crap out of my fuel tank. So, between vacationing, grandkids, golf, and other stuff, I finally got it done. I bolted on the rebuilt carb, crossed my fingers and......... Jack Squat!!!!

The starter went "clunk" and then barely spun the engine for a few seconds. Since the marine starting battery is 3 years old, I figured it was shot and bought an Excide battery at Academy. I installed it and had the same results. So, I took the new starting battery out of my bass boat and same thing. I even used my 200A starting option on my charger/starter that I brought from home and same-o, same-o.

Before I started my gas tank project, the engine spun and started fine. Could it sitting for two months have caused a 14 year old starter to quit? After all, how many times has it really been called upon to work on a boat?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Texasvet

Re: Engine turns over slow if at all

Could be nothing more than loose or corroded battery connections, or even cables that are about shot. Have seen too many with starting problems like you have only to find loose cable ends or cables that are only holding on by a few strands. (Each cable has two ends)

Could also be a dragging starter. Wouldn't be the first one of those either.
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Thanks Don. I'll crawl down there and check tomorrow.

I'm also gonna pull the plugs and spin it to see if maybe I have a head gasket issue and maybe I got something in a cylinder or two. Whatcha think?

Texasvet

Comment

Don,

I pulled the plugs and the engine spun just fine. One of the cylinders sprayed out quite a bit of gas. I had a remote starter, so I was able to quickly put my hand out and catch some of the spray. It was definitely gas.

So, anyone have any thoughts?

Also, As I posted a while back, it appears that fuel has been getting into my oil pan as the level on my dipstick keeps increasing and it is definitely not water. Does that rule out a cracked block?

Texasvet

Comment

Originally posted by texasvet54 View Post
          Don,

I pulled the plugs and the engine spun just fine. One of the cylinders sprayed out quite a bit of gas. I had a remote starter, so I was able to quickly put my hand out and catch some of the spray. It was definitely gas.

So, anyone have any thoughts?

Also, As I posted a while back, it appears that fuel has been getting into my oil pan as the level on my dipstick keeps increasing and it is definitely not water. Does that rule out a cracked block?

Texasvet
          Ayuh,... What carb ya got,..?? Mechanical Fuel pump,..?? Could be Either, or Both...
          Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Well, i just came from the marine shop and apparently the float pivot point sleave must not have been installed correctly when the carb was rebuilt so the carb was flooding and probably the problem.

Tomorrow, I'll put everything back together and see what happens. I still have concerns about the problem with fuel in my oil, but one step at a time.

Also, it's a 2 bbl Mercruiser rebuilt with an electric fuel pump.

I haven't found a source for a new carb yet, so if anyone knows one I'd appreciate a link to it.

Texasvet

Comment

Just a guess...

Someone put a Auto Mechanical fuel pump on and now the Diaphragm is blown causing your gas in the oil.

Or check the little clear hose running from your fuel pump to the carb...Does it have gas in it? If it does...bad fuel pump. That would mean you have the correct marine fuel pump.

Good Luck and let us know!
              1986 21' Celebrity BR - 350 Mercrusier I/O 260 H.P....Engine Serial #B427596
              1981 18' Checkmate Eluder - Original 898 I/O engine....Replacement engine 1979-350....Serial#-Unknown
              Current..... Completed Restoration....Now on the water
              2001 24' Fisher Pontoon with 3.0 - 4 Cyclinder Mercrusier I/O...Eng Serial # OL647903
              1999 GTX Sea-Doo

Comment

Checkmate,

You must have been writing your reply as I was posting mine. It's an electric fuel pump that is bolted onto the front of the engine between the fuel/water separator and the carb. In some earlier posts I stated that the compression is good on every cylinder and the engine doesn't get hot whatsoever. The guy that I bought the houseboat from two years ago is an insurance salesman and realtor. If I called him now and asked for any history or if he knew that there was a problem with fuel getting into the oil when he sold me the boat, he'd cover his butt and plead ignorance.

I'll put it all back together tomorrow and post the results.

texasvet

Comment

Good News......So Far.

I cleaned the plugs up, put them back in, put the repaired carb back on, held my breath and cranked it.

After a few seconds it started. I'm going to change the oil tomorrow since the fuel contaminated it and go from there.

Texasvet.

Comment

The saga continues......

So, as I stated a week ago, I pulled the plugs and the engine spun fine. Several days ago, I drained about 15 quarts of oil/fuel out of my crankcase that was a result of the carb float not being installed correctly during the rebuild. I even took the bolt out of the oil pan to get every last drop of crap out of the crankcase.

Today, I went down and pulled the bolt out just to make sure that I got all of the crap out and about 8 ounces more drained out. I didn't spin the engine since the other day, so how in the wide world of sports did I get more fluid in my crankcase? I wasn't able to tell for sure what it was although it kinda smelled like more gas.

If it was just an ounce, I'd say that it was just left over from the other day, but this was a considerable amount of fluid.

Is there any way that I'm getting water back in through my exhaust while the engine is sitting? Remember, this is a houseboat with a 305 cu. in. Merc that sits in the water year round. Also, I have the electric fuel pump leads unplugged so it can't be that I'm somehow still pumping fuel.

I'll take a look at the oil pan again tomorrow and if anything comes out when I pull the plug, I'll try to catch it.

texasvet

Comment

sounds like the carb is not fixed yet.if you lift carb off see if you have pooling of fuel in the manifold or you may be able to see with a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by dingdongs View Post
                        sounds like the carb is not fixed yet.if you lift carb off see if you have pooling of fuel in the manifold or you may be able to see with a torch.
                        Um in Texas is is called a flashlight DO NOT USE A TORCH
                        2008 Tahoe Q7i 5.0L MPI Mercruiser/Alpha One Gen II Drive
                        14.25 x 17 Michigan "Apollo" 3 blade Stainless (From iboats store)

Comment

I was just about to ask "how big a torch?" :-)

I'm headed out to the boat a little later to see how the motor looks.

Texasvet

Comment

Well, I pulled the oil pan drain plug and only a few drops came out today. Tomorrow I'm going to cross my fingers and fill the engine with oil and spin it.

texasvet

Comment

All,

I pulled the oil pan plug last week and only a few drops of oil dripped out. So, I put 5 quarts of oil in and a new filter. I've now run the engine for 2 hours and it sounds great and the oil on the dipstick looks normal.

Since I've had a lot of gas in my oil and crankcase, is there any treatment that I should perform on the engine to clean things up?

thanks,
                              texasvet

Comment

Working...
                              X