where to start on a new to me boat, and a new to boats owner

whynot162

Cadet
I bought a 1980 glass ply 17' boat from a friend to help him out. He had it given to him, and has never ran it, the previous owner said that the coupler was bad.

So I have been reading a lot and think I am in over my head unless I can get advice.

The boat is powered by a merc 120 I/O I believe is what it is called? A 4cyl engine, inside the boat,

My plan was to see if it even runs, before I do anything else. But it has been sitting for several years, and after reading, I am afraid to just try and start it.

Is it like a car engine?
Do not know if it was ever winterized or not, Luckily it does not get too cold here.
So how can I check to see if there is any damage if it was not winterized? And how do I go about starting it, and testing to see what is actually wrong with it?

Thanks
Doug

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: where to start on a new to me boat, and a new to boats owner

I bought a 1980 glass ply 17' boat from a friend to help him out. He had it given to him, and has never ran it, the previous owner said that the coupler was bad. Doug

If the coupler is bad, you will have to pull the motor out to replace it.

Is it like a car engine?
Doug

It pretty much is like a car engine. Big difference is the exhaust system and cooling system are different. I'd search here on the stickys and forum on how to start to see if it'll run and then go from there.

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

before you need to rebuild the water pump if it has not been for over three years. you need water to keep other thing from going bad . it's only about 10.00 part , go to you-tube and you will find how to rebuild it . Do this before do anything

whynot162

Cadet

Sorry about posting in the wrong place. I will learn.. Slowly...

I went out and started looking. There is water in the oil, but the top of the engine looks really good with no rust or buildup of any kind.
Tried to turn the motor with a screwdriver at the water pump and it will not turn.
So from what I read, I should soak the cylinders with marvel oil. and give it a few days.
Change the oil,
And see if I can get it to break loose. Hopefully it is able to be recovered?
Also the inside of the carb has a lot of surface rust in it so I will shoot it with some carb cleaner.
It has an electric fuel pump, which was disconnected, the fuel hose also. I will run the fuel from an external source before even looking at the tank of the boat.
The bellows on the drive that I can see are bad, so I will have to do all of that. But feel like I need to know if the engine is any good before I go any further.
Does this sound like the right plan, or am I missing something that I should fit in there.
I will not run it long, just to know. then head to doing the water pump and other items on the drive unit.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Between water in the oil, and the engine locked up, you may not have enough there to make it worth saving.
A cracked block is the normal cause of water in the oil. Just from improper winterization. VERY common problem.
Next, if the cylinders are rusting and that is what is locking the engine up, you can put all kinds of snake oils in the cylinders, but the engine needs rebuild. Even if you did get it to break free, the rust will have pitted the cylinder walls and the steel rings. That rust will then get scraped off as you turn the engine and all that grit is now next to the pistons and cylinder walls making a mess out of everything.
It would be one thing if the rust was from a week of sitting, but years is a serious problem.

Bondo

Staff member

The bellows on the drive that I can see are bad, so I will have to do all of that. But feel like I need to know if the engine is any good before I go any further.

Ayuh,... Pull the drive, Off, so you'll know whether the motor, or the drive, is seized....

whynot162

Cadet

I will not get a chance to look at this until next week. But I was thinking, If the boat has not been ran in years, and I saw the milky oil on the dipstick, could that be just from the condensation? the oil and water should have separated over the years. I should have wiped it off and checked it again.

As I start to look at part options, and places to get them. What drive do I have? I see all of these names, alpha beta prealpha... What do I use when looking for parts?
Motor SN is 4659255
Drive label on the engine says SN 462755 but is missing the last part.

Thanks

BajaDan

Cadet

Post a picture of your drive unit and that should help others on here identify what you've got. Welcome and good luck.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

So I have been reading a lot and think I am in over my head unless I can get advice.

How mechanically inclined are you? This is going to be a big project. Period. No offense, as I do not know you, but it seems like this may be more than you are ready to do?

The only way for the oil to be milky is for it to have been run with water in the oil. If water had just gotten into the crankcase without it being run, it would simply be at the bottom of the crankcase and would not have mixed. Pull the drain plug on the pan and see if water comes out and then oil.

whynot162

Cadet

I have never completely rebuilt an engine, but do most of my own work on my cars, so I would like to think somewhat inclined, and tinkering is fun. I just do not know ANYTHING about boats, so it is intimidating some I guess.
This got me thinking so I went out tonight, and pulled and wiped the dipstick off, and checked the oil. It is clear oil color, but a little overfull. So I am thinking now that the milky oil on the stick was from the wet air here in the NW. but I am not sure. No way to get to the drain plug, unless I pull the engine, But I should see the same results if I pump it out of the dipstick tube correct?
1)I will pick up a little hand pump that I can pull the oil out of the dipstick with this week. and pump it out and see what is in the pan.
And 2)will get a photo of the drive unit.

Bondo

Staff member

I have never completely rebuilt an engine, but do most of my own work on my cars, so I would like to think somewhat inclined, and tinkering is fun. I just do not know ANYTHING about boats, so it is intimidating some I guess.
This got me thinking so I went out tonight, and pulled and wiped the dipstick off, and checked the oil. It is clear oil color, but a little overfull. So I am thinking now that the milky oil on the stick was from the wet air here in the NW. but I am not sure. No way to get to the drain plug, unless I pull the engine, But I should see the same results if I pump it out of the dipstick tube correct?
1)I will pick up a little hand pump that I can pull the oil out of the dipstick with this week. and pump it out and see what is in the pan.
And 2)will get a photo of the drive unit.

Ayuh,.... With everything Seized, the 1st order of business is to get it to turn over,....

Pull the Drive....

whynot162

Cadet

pulling the drive is just a few bolts, then I can lay it on it's side on the floor or table right? and about how much does it weigh? From the video's looks like one person can handle it no problem?
So pull the drive, and see if it will turn over, Should I try and turn it with the starter first? I have only tried by hand, and have only tried from the water pump pulley, and have not found a good way to get something down to the crank pulley to try and turn it there.
I did pull the plugs after this, and there is just carbon on them, no rust.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

If I remember you just put the control lever in forward gear and remove the 6 nuts on the stern drive and it will slide out, some with more persuasion than others....

I would do that first before all else.... Seperate your gremlins.... before one turns into several broken parts.

Bondo

Staff member

pulling the drive is just a few bolts, then I can lay it on it's side on the floor or table right? and about how much does it weigh? From the video's looks like one person can handle it no problem?
So pull the drive, and see if it will turn over, Should I try and turn it with the starter first? I have only tried by hand, and have only tried from the water pump pulley, and have not found a good way to get something down to the crank pulley to try and turn it there.
I did pull the plugs after this, and there is just carbon on them, no rust.

Ayuh,.... 80 lbs...