Mercruiser 228 running too cold

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
I have just finished replacing the manifolds and risers on my newly acquired boat which has a 305 small block 228hp Mercruiser. When I bought the boat, the engine had the original 'log style' manifolds with rear exit risers. I was advised to replace these due their age with newer style center exit manifolds, which I did. I also replaced the leg water pump, engine circulation pump and thermostat. I have retained the original style thermostat housing which has the six ports on it; two running to the risers and the other four to the front and rear of the manifolds.
Before starting all this work I ran the engine up on the flush muffs and the temperature gauge rose smoothly to normal operating temp, and stayed there. Now that I have finished replacing the parts the temperature gauge barely moves off the stop (it does, just), and the hoses are only tepid, not hot as I would expect. I took the boat out on the lake and although it runs sweetly the temperature just doesn't get to anywhere near normal operating range.

I have removed the new thermostat and tested it in a pot of water and it opens at 65 degrees celcius.
The manifolds I fitted are aftermarket, not OEM and they didn't come with installation instructions so I simply assumed that the hoses would go onto them in a similar fashion as they did on the old log manifolds, ie the hoses that used to go to the front of the manifolds were connected to the front, rear to rear, and riser hoses to risers.
The thermostat housing has the bypass around the thermostat which feeds directly into the risers, however the new gasket that came with it didn't have the cut out for this so I altered it to the pattern of the old one that I removed.

I should also mention that when I replaced the leg water pump that I discovered that it didn't have the extension tube or the rubber tube spacer on top of the pump housing ( "R" style leg), but rather there was an extra long rubber tube from the top of the leg which mated directly into the top of the pump housing.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why the engine is now running so cold, and what I could try to remedy it?
Could it be that the new pump(s) are providing much more circulation than the old ones, or should the rubber grommet be installed in the top of the pump housing to restrict the flow, or should I block off the thermostat bypass, or.........?

Please help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 228 running too cold

I have retained the original style thermostat housing which has the six ports on it; two running to the risers and the other four to the front and rear of the manifolds.

Ayuh,.... I believe you'll find, you Have to up-date the T-stat housing to match the up-dated manifolds...

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I was wondering that. The guy who supplied me the manifolds implied that my old thermostat housing could still be used, but I guess he may not ave been all that familiar with such an I'd engine? I'll be giving him a call :).

Tanks for the advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture of your thermostat housing and how you have the hoses plumbed to it. Your housing may be able to be used, but you have to make sure to hook the hoses up correctly.

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, hopefully I have managed to attach a couple of pics of my thermostat housing. Sorry for the size and quality, but at this stage they are the only photos I have of it, and it will be a couple of weeks before I can take any more.
The two hoses which are above the thermostat i have plumbed into the risers, the two rear-most hoses below the thermostat i have connected to the rear of the manifolds, and the two lower front hoses to the front of the manifolds.
Does this now shed any light on my over-cooling issue?

Thanks again.

merc1.JPGmerc2.jpg
Post a picture of your thermostat housing and how you have the hoses plumbed to it. Your housing may be able to be used, but you have to make sure to hook the hoses up correctly.

luky7

Cadet

Do u have put the blockoff plate between the manifold and the riser ? u need that plate to stop the open loop in the cooling system, i just get out from this trouble my engine never climb more then 100F and now normaly 140-170 ..the hot water coming out from ur engine until is enough hot to open the T-that juste get out to fast without this plate
u need 2 gasket by side sandwiched the plate ..ENJOY lolol if u need more infos just ask !!

link here part num : MC 20 60207
description of this part at the end is helpfull
Stainless steel block off plate (with
vent hole) for use with MerCruiser
riser #?s 60426, 76351 and 76771. Requires (2) gaskets part # MC47-27-
99777. Used in pre-heating plumbing
systems

http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/barr/barr_46.pdf

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Lucky
Yip, I just got off the phone with the guy who sold me the manifold and riser kit and he suggested the exact same thing! He apologized for supplying the wrong gaskets (with water passage cutouts) and is sending me the correct, solid ones. I must admit that I didn't really take a close look at my old manifolds; had I have done so I would have discovered this in the beginning.

Cheers

luky7

Cadet

humm not sure to trust only the gasket go with the full kit (plate and gasket because if your gasket blow... water in engine may cost u more than 40-50$ ... or u go back in cold running temps

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yip, I'm hoping tat my manifolds have the separation plate on them that I can reuse? They are about a four hour drive away so won't be able to check for a couple of weeks.

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Lucky
Ive just had someone check my old log style manifolds which I removed from the engine and it was found that they don't have the block off plate between riser and manifold as pictured in your attachment. Did yours have this or were they open water galleries?
What type of thermostat housing do you have? Is it the same as mine or does it have the T with check-balls?
Now I'm even more confused!

Cheers

luky7

Cadet

Ello cresco

like i say u really need this plate cresco 15$ each its ur problem of overcooling the previous owner simply dont take care of the OEM parts i because is very confusing thing when u see the water passage bethween these 2 parts manifold and riser Huh ? i do the same mistake and im very good in mecanic in the shemas mercruiser put the separation plate. if show .... i install one and the problem go away,thrust me for 50$ u will be happy !!! my t-that is a 140 degrees and put orange RTV permatex on every surface of instalation parts tight a 90% wait 1 hour and finish the tight .

sry english is not my first language :p
ps put a second nut with blue/red loctite on top of the riser nut like that u r sure of your job bye!