frozen shift cable / can't engage outdrive

l1lmonsta23

Cadet
i have an 83 renken, with an omc 4 cylinder and an omc outdrive, the 2 linkages on the handle (throttle and shift), both work and are free, however, the shift linkage attaches to the bracket at the back of the motor. the bracket then engages another cable that goes to the outdrive, this cable is frozen, i am unable to engage my outdrive. Last season, i began to have problems getting it in reverse, after the winter, nothing works, any hints?

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: frozen shift cable / can't engage outdrive

pull the drive and replace the cable. time to check everything in there as it sounds like its time to fix the other stuff as well if thats siezed up. time for a transom service kit. sounds like it might of had water in there. or just rusted severely

l1lmonsta23

Cadet

do you happen to know of any online service guides?....i am a car guy who ended up with a boat, don't know a thing about outdrive, transoms, all that jazz, but can follow directions like a champ.....

whywhyzed

Banned

What's wrong...2.5 hours has passed and we haven't got back to you?<br /><br />I think Seloc has an online service.<br />I wish you luck finding that cable. I have a spare i am saving like a bottle of fine wine in my OMC cellar... they are rare...<br />Don't take the old one out till you have the new one.<br />Take the battery right out of the boat before working on those cables. If one of the cable ends touches 12V+, it's a $300+ mistake.