Help wiring alternator kit for merc 470 - I have 2 solenoids????

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a one wire alternator kit;
Wagner dc-60
The instructions say "If you have a Delco starter with the solenoid on the starter" do it this way;
OR
"If you have a prestolite starter with the solenoid mounted near the old voltage regulator on the side of the block do it this way".
Trouble is I have 2 solenoids

It appears from their drawing that I have a starter with a big solenoid on the top of the starter so that's Delco;
But their is also another starter solenoid on the block like a Prestolite starter would have.
Both are wired.

So what do I do?
Supposed to sea trial in the afternoon tomorrow and more than a little confused.
Can you help???
-br

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help wiring alternator kit for merc 470 - I have 2 solenoids????

This is a one wire alternator kit;
Wagner dc-60
The instructions say "If you have a Delco starter with the solenoid on the starter" do it this way;
OR
"If you have a prestolite starter with the solenoid mounted near the old voltage regulator on the side of the block do it this way".
Trouble is I have 2 solenoids

It appears from their drawing that I have a starter with a big solenoid on the top of the starter so that's Delco;
But their is also another starter solenoid on the block like a Prestolite starter would have.
Both are wired.

So what do I do?
Supposed to sea trial in the afternoon tomorrow and more than a little confused.
Can you help???
-br

Ayuh,.... Wire it for the Delco starter,...

The Other solenoid is only to excite the starter's solenoid

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help wiring alternator kit for merc 470 - I have 2 solenoids????

Many thanks, Bond-o; that's how I'll do it.
I was getting a little fuzzy at 11pm.
-br