Can I rebuild a '73 888 ford 302 fuel pump?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I rebuild a '73 888 ford 302 fuel pump?

One of these is $42 at carquest.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E8337/?rtype=10
Adapt it to hard lines for another alternative to an expensive marine mech pump. I'd suggest wiring via a relay with the coil powered by an oil pressure switch and power from the ignition switch.

Plus according to USCG, has to be within 12" of the engine, at some point, for an external mounted electric pump.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just re-read your reply there, and no the filters are not in the engine compartment. They are with the tanks.

And I don't have insurance and am never close to any other boats, especially ones that have insurance.

I've got a "stripper" tube on my single diaphragm fuel pump so in reality I'm up to spec? I thought all marine pumps were dual diaphragm no matter if they had the tube or sight glass but this looks like that isn't the case.

Not according to the USCG diagram. Single and duals available. See link I sent earlier.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Must be all metal or USCG approved flame retardant rubber hoses before the fuel pump and all metal after the fuel pump.

Just to jump in on this conversation and to clarify one point for future "post surfers" ;): Type A1 rubber hose is permitted to run from the pump to the carb. You do not have to use a metal line.

larboc

Seaman

I'm pretty sure the regs said you had to use metal line after the pump?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I'm pretty sure the regs said you had to use metal line after the pump?

No - here's what the regs say:

If a hose is used in the fuel line running between the fuel pump and the carburetor, the hose must be "USCG Type A1" and so labeled as required by 183.540. This requirement is applicable whether the fuel pump is engine mounted or mounted remotely from the engine, as permitted by 183.566.

larboc

Seaman

It ran on the muffs last night, hopefully I can drag it to town for a wet test tonight after work. I'm going to stop at the autovalue tonight and get a set of blue gaskets and a new accelerator pump just for the sake of replacing them. It doesn't look like there is any kind of safety mechanism in place in the event the accelerator pump diaphragm ruptures which is surprising. I've had more of them leak then mechanical fuel pumps.

One of the two check valves in the OEM pump was corroded so that it was stuck open so I'm guessing that's where my problem was.

I found it odd that the pump lever on the marine pump was longer and more flat than the automotive one. I think it might have been the wrong pump. The wear marks from the eccentric were very close and even touching the bend in the bar and the majority of the tip of the lever where the eccentric is supposed to ride wasn't getting used. I put marking compound on the pump I got from carquest and it hits the the lever exactly where it is supposed to.

harleyman1975

Ensign

I just bought a bunch of spare parts from a scrapped out boat that has a 351 and the fuel pump was among the pieces...just to have parts on hand if the boat fails at the lake. I know that the drive is a different ratio than my 302's 888 but it all will still fit. What boat is this in?

larboc

Seaman

This is in a 1973 22' Cruisers Mackinac that the original motor cracked from not winterizing. The guy I got it from had put another merc 888 302 in it that must have been from a slightly different year as the wiring harness was a little different. I would *think* that a pump for a Windsor should be a pump for a Windsor but I don't want to tell you for sure as ford likes to change things whenever they get "a better idea".

At some point they changed the design of the fuel pump eccentric, but it doesn't look like the actuation arm got changed. The pump for a '73 f100 has a larger appearing case than one for an 80's f150, but the drive looks identical and travel appears the same.

I believe the 302 mercruiser uses 351w heads btw.