Winterizing Question: 4.3 Mercruiser. Looking for steering cooler plug.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
'97 Maxxum. I've found four drain plugs so far--one on each side of the block and one one each exhaust manifold. I've traced the hose that goes back from the four-input manifold on top of the front of the engine back to the steering rack and found that it goes past the rack, makes an "S" turn, and connects to a fitting that appears to go through the hull. The problem I'm having is that if I blow into that hose, I can hear water bubbling. The other three are clear.

Did all steering rack coolers have drain plugs? If so, where should I be looking?

And yes, I checked the manual. It says "have an authorized dealer winterize your boat" and says nothing about where the plugs are located.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winterizing Question: 4.3 Mercruiser. Looking for steering cooler plug.

You may not have a drain plug, it's usually easier to remove the hose on the low end of the cooler to drain it.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterizing Question: 4.3 Mercruiser. Looking for steering cooler plug.

Thanks Don. While I'm down there, is it possible to split the hose at the bottom and put in a drain plug so I don't have to pull the hose next year? That thing's WAAY down in the bilge and nearly impossible to get at.

On another note, I did finally get it off, and no water came out. I feel cheated.