Mercruiser 4.3 steering hose rusted, should I touch it?

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today while I was cleaning up my motor, I noticed that one of the hoses on the steering ram was severely rusted. Rusted to the point where it looks as if I try and put a line wrench on it the nut may crumble or the hose simply break. My question is is this a Common problem? Do y'all think it would be a good idea trying to remove it? If it snaps off I'd assume I'd probably A: have to remove the ram and try and extract the nut or B: replace the ram. Both being horribly difficult and expensive. Should I even try removing this hose? There doesn't seem to be any leaks and the steering works perfectly. Any advice, ideas, tips etc?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 steering hose rusted, should I touch it?

Rusted to the point where it looks as if I try and put a line wrench on it the nut may crumble or the hose simply break. My question is is this a Common problem?

It's common if allowed to get wet, and never gets any corrosion guard sprayed on for protection as mentioned in the manuals.

If you suspect it's about to fail, order a new one. Then use the boat until you have a good chance to replace it and do some other service that is needed on a yearly basis.

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where can I find corrosion guard? Well the problem is that if it does fail or breaks while trying to remove it, I wouldn't have the knowledge to remove that ram. What would be the labor as far as hrs involved to remove it? I read a article somewhere on it and it stated with the motor in place it makes it very difficult.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are all kinds of corrosion protection products out there. DO NOT get the sticky, ugly, nasty, stuff Merc sells. They should be ashamed of themselves for that garbage.

Volvo sells a product that really works, but it just has a blue color, where the original product was a pinkish color when sprayed. Can't think of the name of it, but it Dries clear and shiny, has a waxy feel and really keeps the corrosion to a minimum.

corrosion-shield_5.jpg