3.0 Mercruiser performance options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptkid570

Ensign
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser performance options

For starters -- how often do you really go over 35 mph? If you are looking at more pulling power for a skier, maybe look into getting a lower pitch prop for when you are pulling people skiing, and a higher pitch prop for when you want to go faster...

whywhyzed

Banned

My future boat purchases will be basically based on this:<br /><br />15' to 16.5' 3.0L ok<br />17' to 18' V6 4BBL<br />18' to 22' 5.7 V8 4BBL<br />Over 22' Big Block<br /><br />That way you arent always trying to squeeze every last HP out of the thing.<br />When the thing gets older and has lost 5 or 10% of it's power, or you have one plug wire sorta going bad, or you didn't maybe buy the most awesome gasoline, or use the slipperiest synthetic oil... it'll still be fun.

harveje

Seaman

Thanks,<br />I've tried ss and alum. 3 and 4 blade 17p,19p,21p and 23p the al 3 blade 19 is the best all around, the al 4 blade 18 is best for playing and pulling.

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scott:<br /><br />The 3.0 liter GM engine is a fine powerplant for your application, and has the added advantage of much better fuel economy than any of the other engines mentioned, hystat's opinions notwithstanding (I think a V6 is called for on boats larger than 19.5 feet, dude! :p )<br /><br />If you want some more uummmph from your 3.0, check out this link: http://www.remanufactured.com/Inboard_Marine_Engines.htm (1-800-575-6998)<br />Dave Schaffner can hook you up with some added HP, to the tune of 165-180 hp (quoted), depending on the mods and carburetor. I'm sending him my engine for a reman/upgrade in June (fixed a long-standing problem with a sticky valve only to have the rod bearing on the adjacent cylinder disintegrate, and LOUDLY) :mad: .

harveje

Seaman

I agree with the fuel efficiency, I had a 79 cobalt 19.5' with a 305 and MAN it sucked the juice...We can cruise all weekend on a tank now with the 3.0

whywhyzed

Banned

165HP for $2700... that's not too bad, but I don't see where it's getting the power from. A lot of porting and polishing? Need more air to put more fuel. They must have figured out some tricks with the valves.<br /><br />Looking at the mods, they all seem to be high rpm stuff, like pushrods, rockers, seamless cam bearings...which doesn't make sense for an engine that will never see 5K rpm.<br />Doesn't say how much overbored....060 maybe...<br /><br />I still like my 3.8L V6 in my 17 footer...185HP stock w/4bbl .... I have just over $1000 into my boat (not including sweat equity) and it does 50mph turning 4500 rpm.. and it sounds better than the fours.

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am running 3.0L in a 88yr.md.glasstream cutless 172 /cobra drive 21picth @ 4800 and trimed just a bit by gps i run 52 with 4adluts 54 just me. my 78 dixie devil 15-16 footer 140 merc io/ob with 2 adults hits 56 mph with a 23 picth @ 5000r's : and can get 2 avg.size skiers up on 1 . must be doing somthing right

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

BY the way when i got my devil new in 78 the dealer said he could install a blower and get me over 60 for 2500. I said [yes that is what it would do blower]

John_S

Rear Admiral

Scott, If you are still monitoring the thread, one item that hasn't been mentioned is Smart Tabs. Doing a search on this site, will provide more than enough info if they will help your boat. <br /><br />Another one to research is venting a prop. Many have found that is benifitial, to get the motor into its powerband quickly. Also easy to revert back, if it doesn't help.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Originally posted by ron7000:<br /> harveje, I have a 19' bayliner 2002 with the 3L 135hp. It has a 2:1 drive ratio and my oem prop is 14x21. I've tried a stilletto stainless 4-blade 14.25x20 on the boat and maybe loose 1 mph at top end, not really noticeable, but the holeshot is completely different. The prop has so much more bite that you can hear the engine really work in the mid range when the boat climbs out of the hole. It's sort of the opposite of what you want, because you're lacking low end torque with the 4 cylinder. You're better off having a 3-blade that'll slip more and allow the motor to rev higher. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of trying props, just don't go spending a couple hundred and get stuck with a prop you won't like. If you're running a 3-blade 19" prop and you're holeshot is so-so I can guarantee you a 4-blade 20" prop will be worse but you may be happier with mid-range performance.<br /><br />for the original topic, there's pitch-shifting props which have lower pitch at lower rpms for holeshotting and the pitch changes higher as rpms climb for top end speed. They're not cheap but may be a good solution to your problem.<br />As for motor mods short of a v-6 or v-8, don't know what year you have but maybe upgrade to the newer style heads, find a custom set of heads, weber carb, look at thinner head gaskets if they're available, change over the valvetrain to roller fulcrums, modify your valve lift or have a custom cam made, pull the whole motor and do new pistons with new cam. And reducing weight in the boat is always a good idea.
ron7000 may i ask, was the Stilleto a Bay Pro ll and was the prop vented?

Scooter Mac

Cadet

all I can say is WOW! A whole lotta posts. I will try the prop first. I found a local prop dealer who will let me try several recomended props first(no charge except deposit to make sure I return them)and find the right one. I guess with gas prices being so high it's nice to cruise for 8-10 hours without filling up another 25 gallons. Thanks all who commented.

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hystat - I agree, the exhaust note is nice with the V6s, (I've had three boats with 4.3s in them) but it sounds even better if you have thru-hull pipes! ;) Meanwhile, I'll finesse my 4-cylinder around the lake and pass the fuel pump a couple of more times each weekend. I already have a thirsty boat, V8-powered, although the 5.0 in my Bayliner is throaty and powerful - every now and then I see other 21-foot Capris with the same 3.0 liter motor that powers my Stingray, and I just don't see how they can adequately push a boat of that size and draft.

harveje

Seaman

"Another one to research is venting a prop"<br />I know this is a trial and error issue but what gains have been seen with the venting holes? I "tried" venting an old Alum. prop but put the holes in front of the blade instead of behind. Process is real easy with the Alum. props. BTW I used 9mm bit.

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Incidentally - Hystat - I was going back over this thread and you and Bomar have differing opinions regarding how much faster you can go with a determined amount of hp. Bo says 16 hp will get you 1 mph improvement, and you indicate a 10 mph improvement with only 30 hp more in the same hull design, for a 3hp/1mph ratio. I likes yo's much mo' bettuh, boss!<br /><br />BTW - Bomar - where did you find that info?

KRS

Banned

I believe that hulls are coast guard approved for 1) weight, 2) # passengers, and 3) horsepower.

whywhyzed

Banned

Yeah, and playing with the trim yesterday I hit 51.<br />Subtract 1 mph for the SS prop on my 170hp and we're still a good 10 mph better with 30 HP.<br />Now the difference may be that my OMC stringer drive is just that much more efficient than the "black anchor" behind my 140HP in the other boat..maybe the U-joint eats up about 20 HP?? Whereas the ball gears are 100% efficient (Just kidding Merc guys!!)<br /><br />This calculator is an excellent resource:<br /><br /> http://hhscott.com/evinrude/docs/BSLAC.htm <br /><br />Hard to believe my hull efficiency is "210" but that's what I had to use to make the numbers jive.

biscuitbuddy

Recruit

its hard to get performance from these engines, like everyone else said. However, there are a couple things i would recommend trying:
-get a set of Pulsar sparkplugs
-get a good hydrofoil, I run a SE-300 because the clip-on ones fall off
- try a K&N air lid filter, i believe it is called X-Stream
-try a carb spacer
-get a Fitch fuel catalyst
-get a good prop-that will give you the most notible performance
-make sure your engine is tuned properly
Gas engines make more horsepower with more air, so try to run by that rule. I hope this helps!:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats biscuitbuddy.
You have replied to a 4 year old post, please feel free to read the archives, but don't reply to them. We have plenty of new posts daily you can reply to.

Status
Not open for further replies.