leak in lower y exhaust pipe

green76

Seaman Apprentice
93 Baja islander with new vortec v6 ...very hard to start. Idling low. Running very cool 100- 130.. doggish power...a knock that sounds like a bad gas knock...could all these symptoms be related to the y pipe leak?

green76

Seaman Apprentice
Re: leak in lower y exhaust pipe

Engine ran great day before (symptoms didn't start until the leak became obvious)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the ignition system for water and moisture as I mentioned in your other thread about this leak ???????????

green76

Seaman Apprentice

No sign of moisture at all distributed plugs wires oil..no water or moisture...gotta figure this out myself ...after spending over 5k on engine . Rebuild of port engine stringer ect ect...wife says no more expensive marinas...so its learn up and become a do it yourselfer or no boating....so class begins...LOL

Don S

Did you take the cap off the distributor and look for moisture inside the cap?

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Yup no sign of moisture ...a Copley weeks ago we were on lake Erie and ran over sea weed everything seemed OK but 10 min later engine overheated..220!! Let cool down threw anchor jumped in water and pulled hand full of sea weed from impeller...ran fine after that...although did hear clunck in engine bay when shut boat off when realized it was hot...220 real hot?? Took boat out twice after that and all seemed good...but 3rd time out after that is when y pipe sprung leak...incidents related????

Don S

Now we get the rest of the story.
With the overheat, it very well could be the start of all your problems. The exhaust elbow gaskets could now be leaking, or maybe the manifolds got hot enough to crack, which could let water get into the engine when you shut it off. That same overheat may be what caused the hole in the Y pipe.

Pull the exhaust elbow off and look for rust and water in the exhaust passages. If there is water there, pull the outdrive, put the elbows and exhaust back together, and start the engine (NO Water) and run it for 10 or 15 seconds to blow all the water out, let it cool completely and do it again. Probably sounds better now. Let it cool again, then start the engine and fog it with some oil in a squirt bottle.

Now, the engine is safe for the rest of the work you have to do.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

A little involved for my skill level as a beginner but I have no choice but to do myself...my brand new engine may be toast. The day I got boat back from Marina after new engine install I pointed it out to mechanic they there was rust at joints of elbows ...a decent amount...mechanic said was not a problem...I have the pics from that day of rust between elbows and risers?? Should that have been addressed? Was my concern w the rust valid??????

Don S

220? is not going to destroy your engine. It is however very hard on exhaust systems that are supposed to be wet and cool.
Start your engine dry as mentioned above, just to get any water out of the cylinders so you don't loose the engine. RUST is the problem, impellers and exhaust parts are chump change compared to engines.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

I will do what you advised tomorrow when I'm off work but if water IS in cylinders is it to late? Damage done?? How will that effect engine in long run??

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Do I have to pull outdrive to run dry for 10 sec to get water out ?? That scares me

Don S

It would be best to pull the drive, just so you don't burn up the impeller and other plastic/rubber parts in the drive, but since the overheat they need to be checked any way.
If you aren't able to pull the drive, don't worry about it. Just start the engine.

Timing wise for repairs, I have no idea if damage has been done to your engine. But until you can run it with cooling water and after some exhaust repair, the only thing you can do is treat it like it's still good until proven different.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Pulled all plugs n turned engine over ...no water...plugs themselves not milky but like foggy black that wipes off (normal I think)...put plugs back secured wires snug stuffed hole in lower y pipe w rag ran boat on muffs it started but needed full throttle in neutral it ran without stalling but seems to have a miss and subsequent slight knock ...the rag plugging hole quickly blew out spraying back of motor and distributer w water....seems like there's no water in cylinders but then the miss..probably wet distributer? ? Or cylinder number 6 plug reeked of gas and others not so much...any ideas? I will check exhaust elbows n such when I can get my hands on new gaskets to replace ones I take off.

Don S

If you blew that rag out of the hole in the exhaust Y, then you probably have the exhaust plugged up with seaweed and probably exhaust shutters (aka flappers). Time to pull the prop, look into the exhaust cavity, pull the drive and look in the exhaust Y and look into the drive through the front of the drive. Something is plugged up big time, and that is what is causing the running problem.

Really need some pictures of that hole and it's location.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Ill try n figure out how to get a pic on here from my phone...I pulled prop just now no blockage seen will pull drive next day off...does it sound like my new engine has been damaged? Judging by my last post?

green76

Seaman Apprentice

bob picture 2.jpg heres the best i can do on the hole, and ones a diagram of the actual hole.

Don S

...does it sound like my new engine has been damaged? Judging by my last post?

I have no clue, I can't hear it or see it. But, if there is no water in the cylinders, the chances are high that the engine is fine.

green76

Seaman Apprentice

Engine running OK but with a miss...I'm taking to shop that put engine in tomorrow ...the pictures make sense? Can u tell where hole is now? Its hard to get to so couldnt get rag stuffed in there very well....may have my winter project huh?? LOL thanks!!!!!!