Noise when shifting into forward or reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 1978 seaswirl a year ago. Have spent the year fixing it up and going thru the mechanicals. I work alot on cars and sell auto parts, so the engine is up to par and running strong. However the rest of it i have to refer to the manual alot. <br /><br />So to my question, why is it that when i shift from neutral to reverse or forward it makes noise. The noise sounds like grinding gears, kinda like when shifting a car with a bad clutch. The setup I have is a 120hp omc with a 400 outdrive. Cables are in good shape and lubed. No binding in cables, work smoothly on or off the boat, wires to shift mechanism look good, no breaks or wear.<br /><br />Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing this? Someone at work suggested that my idle is to low. I have it set around 700rpm which to me seems right, in an automotive app, but what about marine? Is this to low? <br /><br />All suggestions appreciated.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Noise when shifting into forward or reverse

Does it make noise after its in gear ? or only while shifting<br /><br /><br />On a boat with that type of drive you put it into gear quickly or it will make noise<br /><br /><br />tommays

Re: Noise when shifting into forward or reverse

Only when shifting from neutral to forward, or from neutral to reverse. Once in gear runs smooth with no noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.