ford 351 hard to start when hot.

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi guys im currently looking at buying a 93 mastercraft prostar with a ford v8, current owner has told me that it can get hard to start when hot and has placed some rockwool around the distributer to prevent this happening, just wondering if this is a common problem or something more sinister...have seen it running and all seems well but would like to be sure before handing the cash over...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: ford 351 hard to start when hot.

I Don't Know about Sinister,...........<br /><br />But there's No Doubt a Cause of the Issue.......... ;) <br /><br />I Also Don't Know if it should be a Deal Breaker,.......<br />But it Should be Investigated.........If you Still like it,.. Use it as a Bargaining Chip.......

KRS

Banned

Starter old and the heat is making it weak...<br /><br />Vapor lock (fuel line against engine block)...<br /><br />what else Bondo???

KRS

Banned

BAtteries overcharging and getting too hot, then when you try to restart the batteries are still trying to recover from the overcharge...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I think the most common cause is timed a little to fast and when try to start cylinder fires before reaches TDC. This makes it sound like a dead battery that will barely turn the motor.<br /><br />Slow the timing 1 degree and it will fire right up or in some cases getting a new set of centrifical advance springs for the distrubuter is all that is needed.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Izzit crankin slow,or just won't fire?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Don't think it is a major issue....<br />Answer Walt's question for a better reply....JK

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have only had it going with hose attachment in the yard but it started first time from cold, going to get a proper splash in it on Saturday, the current owner just made comment that it can get hard to start when running for a long time i.e. good afternoons skiing but that it fires right up if left for a couple of minutes to cool...kinda sounds like vapour lock to me but open to suggestions , thanks guys.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Fuel percolation? Try running it with the engine cover off. It might be as simple as under-cowl heat. The fix may be more vents, wrap some aluminum foil around metal fuel lines leaving lots of wrinkles in it to serve as a heat sink. Run the blowers after shut down to exhaust heat. Lots of inexpensive things to try to isolate the problem. Bad condenser that acts up when hot.

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seems more of an elecrrical problem ,wouldnt start after a good run, checked the coli lead for spark and had no spark at all...opened up distributer cap all seemed well, tapped the coil a few times with a screwdriver and it started right up...dodgy coil?? or something in distributer??

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought. It could be loss of compression when hot which is not a good sign.

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just bought a new coil today ..will try it at the week end thanks guys will let you know...

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tried the coil guys....still have the same problem...gave it a really good run today and after about 20 mins it started to miss a bit pulled it into the mooring and it wouldnt start again i left it sit for about 15 to 20 mins and it fired up straight away..any ideas would be great thanks..!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Is this a points distributor or an electronic distributor?

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

You need to do some tests, how did you determine that it had no spark? It may be spark related but it sounds more like fuel. It can also be something as simple as a float level set to low.

rob935

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its an electronic ignition, had no spark from coil to the end of the coil lead that goes into the top of distributer cap....not sure its fuel related although i will put some additives in the tank just in case...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Maybe it is the ignition control module failing at hot temperatures.<br /><br />Go to an electronic supply store and buy some freeze spray. Nexttime you have this problem, spray it at the components in question to see if itfixes the probolem.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would lean towards vapor lock as mentioned by a poster. I know I have a little trouble getting it started after I shut it off and let it sit for a 1/2 hour or so. It starts but I notice I have to crank it a little longer.