• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercruiser 470 3" vs 4" Heat Exchanger

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser 470 3" vs 4" Heat Exchanger

So, I am looking at a boat that has the dreaded Mercruiser 470 170 HP motor. I keep reading that the main problems it has is the stator/rectifier which is resolved with adding a real alternator, potential coolant leak necessitating re-sleeving and re-sealing camshaft, and possible overheats with the 3" heat exchanger. Per the seller, the motor has had the alternator mod installed, and does not have any coolant leaks (but cannot say if the seals have been replaced at any point). He is not near the boat (Lake House) but does not know if it has the 3" or 4" Heat Exchanger. He can say that he has not had any overheat issues with the boat in the two years he has owned it, nor any loss of compression.
    Everything I read about the heat exchanger mentions "Later models" have the 4" HE. Does anyone know when they switched over to the 4" HE? I am not that concerned since the owner and his mechanic (whom I spoke to) says that the motor has not had any overheat issues, at least in the two years they have owned and serviced the boat. I do, however, want to know if it is something I need to consider in the future.
    Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

1988 Stingray 176 SVB with Mercruiser 3.0L (181 CID) - The Ghostrider

Re: Mercruiser 470 3" vs 4" Heat Exchanger

I don't know the exact year, but is easy to tell when you go look at the boat...

The exchanger is on the port side of the engine, (same side and just above the starter), and you can measure the diameter of it easily.

I have an '89 which was the last year they were made... I have the 4"

Comment

Ours is an 88 3.7l w a 4" HE, might be a help for ya.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I went to check out the boat today, and was not happy with what I saw. Motor-wise, the boat did have the 4" heat exchanger, but still had the points ignition. The boat itself was not in the best condition, so I took a pass. Oddly enough, I did go on a lark to see a more recent model of the same boat which had the Mercruiser 3.0l engine, and took that one home.

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by eavega View Post
          Thanks for the replies. I went to check out the boat today, and was not happy with what I saw. Motor-wise, the boat did have the 4" heat exchanger, but still had the points ignition. The boat itself was not in the best condition, so I took a pass. Oddly enough, I did go on a lark to see a more recent model of the same boat which had the Mercruiser 3.0l engine, and took that one home.

Rgds
          i know you didn't buy the boat i think from other post they started to use 4" exchangers on the 470's in 82

Comment

Mine is a '77 SC Tristar and has the 3". No overheating issues other than a slight rise in temp when tubing so I may go ahead and change it anyway just in case. Know of any good places I can get one?

Comment

Originally posted by Noie View Post
              Mine is a '77 SC Tristar and has the 3". No overheating issues other than a slight rise in temp when tubing so I may go ahead and change it anyway just in case. Know of any good places I can get one?
              I saw a couple of places online that sell the larger heat exchanger. The price was unattractive.

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by Noie View Post
                if your boat is not overheating then don't worry about the 3" if the temp rises tubing just beaware of it and when the temp goes up just give it a rest and then have fun again but you also have to beaware of the water temp if the water is colder then you should have no worries but if the water is warm through mid summer then the temp will rise even with a 4". the only time you will start having trouble is when the 3" starts to break down and start clogging it's self

Comment

Guess it makes sense just to leave it and monitor. With this 470 I'm sure I'll find something to spend the saved money on!

Comment

Working...
                  X