Two things

Tiggeroni

Cadet
After about 50 hours of run time in a few months I had an alarm for low sterndrive oil. I had to add some in both my 5.7 mag. in my 2005 Doral Intrigue. after a month use I noticed both levels low again, not to the point of adding more oil but I did notice a difference in both sterns. Is this normal or are both sterns buring oil and not a good sign.

Secondly what is the running engine temp. and oil pressure for these type of engine when running cruising speed which for me is about 3700 RPM ?

thanks for any info.

86 century

Ensign
Re: Two things

Using any oil at all is not good.
About the only way to tell is pressure test them.

I wouldn't worry if the temps stay around 160? with atleast 50psi on the oil pressure
The operating range for both will be in your manual.

Bondo

Staff member

After about 50 hours of run time in a few months I had an alarm for low sterndrive oil. I had to add some in both my 5.7 mag. in my 2005 Doral Intrigue. after a month use I noticed both levels low again, not to the point of adding more oil but I did notice a difference in both sterns. Is this normal or are both sterns buring oil and not a good sign.

Secondly what is the running engine temp. and oil pressure for these type of engine when running cruising speed which for me is about 3700 RPM ?

thanks for any info.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Using oil in Anything isn't Good, 'n needs investigation...

Temps usually run in the area of 160?, but you don't say enough 'bout yer motor to say for Sure...

Oil pressure is acceptable at 10 psi per 1000 rpms, or higher...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sterndrives DO NOT or should not, use any oil at all. I would suggest you remove the drives, check for gear lube in the bellows, drain the drives and do a pressure test on both and find the leaks.

Secondly what is the running engine temp. for these type of engine when running cruising speed which for me is about 3700 RPM ?

A raw water cooled engine of the 2005 vintage has a 160? thermostat in them. Typical running at 170? to 175? under load is normal. When you start seeing 180? something is wrong.