Mercruiser 120 hp: starting a removed engine??

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm working on a 1978 Mercruiser 2.5L 120 hp. I've got the engine removed and bolted down to some 2X4's. I am hoping to get it started so I can check some water leaks. While the moter was in the boat, it looked like the block was cracked. I'm not so sure now that I can see the block a little better.

I've got the water and fuel source worked out. I tried hooking up the wiring loom and starting the engine, but it won't turn over. There are a couple of wires near the canon plug (a brown and black). Is one of them some sort of neutral safety switch? If so, should I ground that wire?

Here's a pic of the brown and black wires while engine was still in the boat (the black wire goes to ground):

Do I need to electrically connect the control box (throttle/gear selector)?

Thanks

--dave

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 120 hp: starting a removed engine??

I tried hooking up the wiring loom and starting the engine, but it won't turn over. There are a couple of wires near the canon plug (a brown and black). Is one of them some sort of neutral safety switch? If so, should I ground that wire?

Ayuh,.... Skip the wirin' harness, 'n put 12vs to the coil's (+) terminal, 'n jumper the starter off yer battery...