mercruiser outdrive 888 188hp

heffe

Cadet
Ok, so im pretty positive now that my lower unit something in the gears is shot. So, i found a used outdrive in great condition. his is the same 302 but has 233 hp as were mine only has 188. I know the lower unit is identical Alpha one Gen one and would bolt up to my upper unit..... But is his outdrive gear ratio the same as mine ? As i know all the gear ratio stuff is in the upper not the lower. Basically can i bolt the used outdrive right up and go? Or just the lower unit? And if it is different ratio's would i have to do any modifications besides probably changing out the prop? Also does anyone know what my 1975 302 188hp mercruiser 888 gear ratios are?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser outdrive 888 188hp

Ok, so im pretty positive now that my lower unit something in the gears is shot. So, i found a used outdrive in great condition. his is the same 302 but has 233 hp as were mine only has 188. I know the lower unit is identical Alpha one Gen one and would bolt up to my upper unit..... But is his outdrive gear ratio the same as mine ? As i know all the gear ratio stuff is in the upper not the lower. Basically can i bolt the used outdrive right up and go? Or just the lower unit? And if it is different ratio's would i have to do any modifications besides probably changing out the prop? Also does anyone know what my 1975 302 188hp mercruiser 888 gear ratios are?

Ayuh,... It should be 1.50:1,... the 233 might be a 1.32:1... which would be a 351, Not a 302....

Both are MC-1s, Not Alpha 1s...

heffe

Cadet

Wait.. now im really confused. ive seen a picture of it and the exhaust manifolds look identical to mine which i know is a 302. Their the only (flat) manifold like it. so... like i said now im really at a loss. .... Am i correct that the lower (no matter what the other curcumstances may be) will bolt directly to my 1975 302 188hp mercruiser 888 ?? And yeah, whats thic mc-1 not alpha 1??? Anybody!!??????

heffe

Cadet
mercruiser outdrive 888 188hp lower unit.

mercruiser outdrive 888 188hp lower unit.

Heres my question. Can i tear into my lower unit myself?? I have the merc manual, have some experience but im no ace mechanic by any means. are there special tools ill need? From the sounds of it its my gears.so can i get to them, and replace everything from there backwards (seals, shims,etc..)??? How much can i find a (kit) for and where? Mechanics around me are so overpriced and a complete ripoff for hours it should seriously be a crime!!!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Wait.. now im really confused. ive seen a picture of it and the exhaust manifolds look identical to mine which i know is a 302. Their the only (flat) manifold like it. so... like i said now im really at a loss. .... Am i correct that the lower (no matter what the other curcumstances may be) will bolt directly to my 1975 302 188hp mercruiser 888 ?? And yeah, whats thic mc-1 not alpha 1??? Anybody!!??????

Ayuh,... It should...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser outdrive 888 188hp lower unit.

Heres my question. Can i tear into my lower unit myself?? I have the merc manual, have some experience but im no ace mechanic by any means. are there special tools ill need? From the sounds of it its my gears.so can i get to them, and replace everything from there backwards (seals, shims,etc..)??? How much can i find a (kit) for and where? Mechanics around me are so overpriced and a complete ripoff for hours it should seriously be a crime!!!!!

Ayuh,... You might get it apart, but the odds are slim to none that you'll successfully reassemble it...

Here is a chart of which engine would be mated with which drive. The Alpha One wasn't born yet back in '75

The 2nd chart shows which ratio would be used for different models:

Attachments

• stern drive ratio.jpg
    stern drive ratio.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 14
  • models till '76.pdf
    179 KB · Views: 8

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

My neighbor tore up his outdrive 1979 4 cyl. 2:1 ratio. We bolted the complete drive from a 6 cyl. Then changed prop to one with less pitch. I don't remember what the pitch was IE: went from 19p to 17p. It ran fine including fast on plane.

haulnazz15

Captain

Unless your friends boat USED to have an 888 drive on it and he swapped it for a 233 drive, he has a 351w not a 302. The manifolds are identical, as are a large majority of the parts. Since both engines use the same block, the are virtually identical, save for a difference in deck height which gives the 351w the longer stroke. In any case, the 233 drive is a lower ratio (1.32:1) than your 888 (1.5:1). Basically, you will need to find a prop with a lower pitch than what you are currently using. Personally, I would find another 1.50 ratio drive if I were you. Any MC-1 or Alpha I will fit the bell housing, just make sure it's the correct ratio.