Bow Up not Working

I have a Quicksilver Commander shifter with Alpha 1 sterndrive. I just replaced the bow up/down switch(p/n 88790a3) and nothing has changed. The up on the bow button does not work, as it hasn't in the last 2 years but the up on the trailer button does work. The down also works on the up/down switch. Any suggestions on what to fix next? Thank you

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow Up not Working

Probably the trim limit switch on the drive ;)

Why would the stern unit go up when I hit the trailer button but not up when I hit the up trim button? Im new to the Stern Unit. Im normally working on the motors

thumpar

Admiral

Why would the stern unit go up when I hit the trailer button but not up when I hit the up trim button? Im new to the Stern Unit. Im normally working on the motors
Because the trim up switch only works when the trim limit switch allows. The trailer button bypasses the limit switch.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Frankly, if you are the only one driving her, and know how high is safe, you can simply use the trailer switch forever. There are a few of us here that admit to it . . . :redface:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The trim button only allows you to trim up only a few degrees. The trailer button over rides the trim button so you can raise the drive higher for towing and shallow areas. When you go above the designed limit of trim, over 1000 to 1200 rpm, to take a chance of damaging things.

Have no idea what your part number is for your control, how about a year or serial number for your engine and/or drive?

Thank you. Is the limit switch on the outdrives middle to upper half? Is it round, on the right side, and has a grease fitting or is the something else? Sorry for asking. I feel I should know these things.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Too bad you did not come here first, it is almost NEVER the control handle switch in your situation:(. It is almost certainly your trim limit switch circuit. Go to the back of the boat and locate two black wires that come through the transom plate that go to two connectors. One connector has a purple/white wire and the other has two blue white wires. Unplug the black wires and jumper between the connectors with a short piece of wire. Try the trim switch, should work. The reason the trailer works and the trim does not is that one of those B/W wires comes directly from the trailer switch to the trim up solenoid. The trim switch is connected to the P/W wire and to complete the circuit the current has to go through the trim limit switch to the other B/W wire and on to the up solenoid. If your trim limit switch is not working your trim switch will not work. You can either fix the TL switch or just leve the jumper in place, just be careful not to trim thr outdrive too high as you have bypassed the limit switch. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I just read up on the hassle it is to replace the trim limit switches and how you should replace the wires also when replacing them. Ive been using the trailer button for a few years so I may just keep doing that. One problem. I have wore out the trailer button and you just can't get them anymore from anywhere. Its just a 2way button right? Couldn't I just bypass that button with, lets say, a horn button? Maybe a toggle switch? Once the outdrive gets to the top, it stops anyway right? Then just turn it off? I know its not the correct way, but if it floats and runs good it should work right?

Don S

Just jumper the 2 trim limit wires on the engine harness and use the regular trim switch.

Thanks Don. I read something on the net about bypassing the trim limit switch but don't know how. Do you have something you can send me to help me out or I can research the web if you don't have time. I see that you help alot of people and Im sure they appriciate it as much as I do. Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Don S

In the picture below. Hook items 14 and 15 together. The are in the engine compartment, you just have to look to find them, and they run up to the throttle lever.

Untitled7.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Thanks Don. I read something on the net about bypassing the trim limit switch but don't know how. Do you have something you can send me to help me out or I can research the web if you don't have time. I see that you help alot of people and Im sure they appriciate it as much as I do. Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Read post #9, I don't do this to improve my typing skills LOL. Will tell you EXACTLY how to bypass the limit switch.