Using Braided Steel fuel line in Mercruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2140

Cadet
Hello,

I accidentally broke the fuel line when I was taking my carb off last night (whoops) so I will need to replace the fuel line running from the water separator to the carb. Can I use a flexible braided steel fuel line for this connection, or do I have to replace with the OEM mercruiser line? The engine is a 1980 Mercruiser 228 (Chevy 305) with a Rochester Quadrajet carb.

Thanks,
-Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Using Braided Steel fuel line in Mercruiser?

Do you mean the carb to fuel pump? You shouldn't have a line going from a water separating fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb. Those filters belong on the suction side of the system, not pressure side.

Assuming you meant pump to carb, I use 3/8" brake lines from NAPA, bend to fit, double flare the end after you cut to length and you have a proper fuel line.

Bondo

Staff member

Do you mean the carb to fuel pump? You shouldn't have a line going from a water separating fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb. Those filters belong on the suction side of the system, not pressure side.

Assuming you meant pump to carb, I use 3/8" brake lines from NAPA, bend to fit, double flare the end after you cut to length and you have a proper fuel line.

Ayuh,.... Ditto that,.... Safe,.. Quick,.. Easy,.. 'n Cheap....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That's what I did - only instead of cutting to length, just buy a close approximation to the length you need and use a tubing bender to make it fit. Here's a pic of mine:

DSCF5704.jpg

You can also convert to rubber line. I used to believe that the Coast Guard regs called for metal line, but that isn't true. You can go with the appropriate barbed fittings and type A1 marine fuel hose if you prefer.

haulnazz15

Captain

I used SS braided line with AN fittings on my 351w rebuild since I swapped to a 4bbl carb making the old fuel line useless. I used a kit from Russel Automotive (Edelbrock). It came with a couple feet of SS hose, and instructions on how to cut to length, as well as the needed fittings. I added in an external filter right before the carburetor base, seen to the left of the distributor in the pic below.

IMG_0414-1.jpg

badger32

Seaman Apprentice

I used SS braided line with AN fittings on my 351w rebuild since I swapped to a 4bbl carb making the old fuel line useless. I used a kit from Russel Automotive (Edelbrock). It came with a couple feet of SS hose, and instructions on how to cut to length, as well as the needed fittings. I added in an external filter right before the carburetor base, seen to the left of the distributor in the pic below.

IMG_0414-1.jpg

hi do u know the thread size u used to connect to the 4bbl carb please?

haulnazz15

Captain

Edelbrock kit #8134, which uses -6AN fittings for the filter, and the inlet for the carb is a 5/8-20 banjo bolt.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Standard carb fittings are 3/8" reverse double flare, not half inch 45? AN fittings.

MV.Cats.Meow

Recruit
Don S mentions using brake line, aka Bundy tubing as a fuel line. This tubing is a type of double-walled low-carbon steel tube manufactured by rolling a copper-coated steel strip through 720 degrees and resistance brazing the overlapped seam in a process called Bundywelding. Desirable properties as a fuel line are that it is easy to cut, bend and flare. The cautionary property is that it is based on carbon steel and susceptable to corrosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.