2002 4Winns 3L, Boat starts and runs great, turn off key and restart, nothing

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's the strangest thing... and intermittent problem, no idea. It's a weird one.
I have a 2002 Four Winns 3.0L Mercruiser that starts and runs great. Problem is, after a while out on the water, if you turn the key off and try to restart, there's nothing. No click, no sound. I do have power to the gauges but when I turn the key no sound. Now here's the weird thing, after getting stuck and paddling to shore, I flicked the trim switch to bring up the drive and for sh*its and giggles tried to turn the key and it fired up.

I figured it was a bad ignition, so I put in a brand new ignition key switch. Same thing happened. So as I paddle again to shore, I pushed the trim switch and again it fired up. So what is the relationship from the trim switch to the key ignition that at times, cuts the ability to start the boat?

Anyone ever had such an issue???
Many thanks in advance for this sticky one ! :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2002 4Winns 3L, Boat starts and runs great, turn off key and restart, nothing

It's the strangest thing... and intermittent problem, no idea. It's a weird one.
I have a 2002 Four Winns 3.0L Mercruiser that starts and runs great. Problem is, after a while out on the water, if you turn the key off and try to restart, there's nothing. No click, no sound. I do have power to the gauges but when I turn the key no sound. Now here's the weird thing, after getting stuck and paddling to shore, I flicked the trim switch to bring up the drive and for sh*its and giggles tried to turn the key and it fired up.

I figured it was a bad ignition, so I put in a brand new ignition key switch. Same thing happened. So as I paddle again to shore, I pushed the trim switch and again it fired up. So what is the relationship from the trim switch to the key ignition that at times, cuts the ability to start the boat?

Anyone ever had such an issue???
Many thanks in advance for this sticky one ! :confused:

Ayuh,..... Dirty, Corroded wirin' ends, 'n Dirty, Corroded wirin' connections....

Start at the Battery, 'n ya need clean, shiny metal to start,... use real nuts, not wingnuts on the battery, then grease the terminals to stop the corrosion....
Then at the Other end of those wires,... Do the same thing....

The cannon plug, where the motor attaches to the boat is another spot to look at, 'n Clean...

Any connections on relays, 'n solenoids should also be addressed...

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 4Winns 3L, Boat starts and runs great, turn off key and restart, nothing

Thanks for the input Bond-o. I will check the solenoids, however I put a new battery in and cleaned the ends and it's not a matter of not having power to the ignition. The gauges are working and when I turn the key, power is there, it's just not being able to start the engine ! Wouldn't that rule out battery connections?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the input Bond-o. I will check the solenoids, however I put a new battery in and cleaned the ends and it's not a matter of not having power to the ignition. The gauges are working and when I turn the key, power is there, it's just not being able to start the engine ! Wouldn't that rule out battery connections?

Nope,... a couple of amps can pass corroded connections to power the gauges,...

The starter draws, 'bout 100 amps though...

ALL yer connections are Suspect,....

spunkyman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then, I best get busy !!!

THANKS!
Marty

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

if your trim switch is in your shifter as in most newer boats there is also a micro switch in there too. it prevents u from starting whilst in gear.this may be incorrectly working or adjusted badly.or just faulty.if it occurs again just try wiggling your shifter in and out of gear and then see if it will crank the boat over.
inners may look similar to this but there to give u an idea; http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=qu...&tbnw=209&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:113,i:127