Anodes on alpha 1 outdrive

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While I was pulling my boat out of the water someone mentioned I was missing an anode on the flat portion of the outdrive (right above where the prop spins). There is a round aluminum disc about 3" dia. with a threaded hole in the center. He said that the anode screwes into this. There is a rubber plug on the topside for a ratchet extension to go into but I think that threaded hole is for the bolt to hold it in. I was thinking that was the anode, the round circular disc.
This may be confusing unless you can visualize what I am describing but maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Am I missing something here or am I all set? Thanks
This is a 2003 I/O Mercruiser.

paul

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Anodes on alpha 1 outdrive

You're not missing anything - what you are describing is where the trim tab goes. If you have power steering it is just a disk with nothing sticking down.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes i have the same setup as yours. just an empty threaded hole. the plate is an anode.

Brewman61

Ensign

Do a google search on "Mercruiser Anode Kit" and you'll get all sorts of photos showing the various anodes, incluing that plate that is being discussed in this thread.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, There are at least three kinds of anodes for that place on your outdrive. There is the flat disk, a disk with a small fin and a disk with a larger fin. You may use any that fit. A performance prop will have some rake which cause you to use the small fin or the flat disk.

jestor68

Commander

It would help if you stated what Mercruiser you have. The 4.3L and above usually are equipped with power steering, and use the flat anode(no fin).

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I have a 4.3L with power steering and it just has the flat disk, non performance prop. It sounds like I have what it is suppose to. Thanks

paul

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is an outdrive question. You will get better response in the Mercruiser Forum. I will move it there for you.