96 3.0L mercruiser alternator belt

hankins

Cadet
Hello,
I just bought a 96 Bayliner1750 capri with the 3.0L mercruiser, took it out for the first time and I lost the alternator belt, it looked fine before I got on the water. didnt last but about 20 minutes, it looks like the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is not lined up with the other pulley's.
looks like its about 1/4" forward of the water pump and alternator. any suggestion on how to fix this, and also looking for a belt P/N, there is nothing left of the other belt to match it up with.

Thanks
Jon

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 96 3.0L mercruiser alternator belt

The balencer should be flush with the end of the crankshaft.If not you will need a tool to press it all the way on.

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My belt was showing wear and throwing particles all over ,so I changed it .I noticed the same problem ...my pulleys werent lined up straight to one another .My alternator was ahead of the pulley. I loosened the alternator attachment bolts and put a couple of washers behind the adjustment arm to shim and align them and replaced the belt...it solved the problem...hope this helps ...regards,Bob

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to have a 3.0 that would chew up belts every 10-15 hours. I tried everything, cleaning the pulleys of all rust, making sure the pulley were aligned, but could never figure it out. What I did do is buy 3 belts at a time, and, since you have to remove a motor mount to replace the dang belt, I would put a new one on, and wrap two spares up with a tie wrap (already around the motor mount) so that I could easily replace a busted belt on the water in about 5 minutes. All I had to do is cut the tie wrap, loosen the alternator (one bolt), put the new belt on and tighten the alternator.

hankins

Cadet

The balencer should be flush with the end of the crankshaft.If not you will need a tool to press it all the way on.

the balancer is not flush with the end of the crank, looks like its been that way for a while, as there is a little bit of rust around the balancer shaft. it looks as if I press it on to where its flush the rust on the shaft will eat up the front seal.
also I notice that there isnt a center bolt that holds the balancer on, like most motors I've seen.

how big of a job is it to remove the balancer clean it up and reinstall. looks like I will need to remove the front mount and support the engine. where can I get the special tool to press it on.

Thanks
Jon

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the balancer is not flush with the end of the crank, looks like its been that way for a while, as there is a little bit of rust around the balancer shaft.

Are the pulleys lined up so the belt is running true, that's what you need to look at, not if the balancer is flush with the crankshaft or not.

hankins

Cadet

Are the pulleys lined up so the belt is running true, that's what you need to look at, not if the balancer is flush with the crankshaft or not.

the pulleys are not lined up, the crank pulley is about 1/4" forward of the water pump and alternator pulleys.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then you have to clean it up and re install to the proper depth. To remove the front mount, you need to remove the drive first so you don't damage the coupler. Then find out if there is a threaded hole in the crankshaft.
A three bolt puller is all that is needed to remove the dampner. Installer depends on the threaded hole in the crankshaft or not.

hankins

Cadet

Then you have to clean it up and re install to the proper depth. To remove the front mount, you need to remove the drive first so you don't damage the coupler. Then find out if there is a threaded hole in the crankshaft.
A three bolt puller is all that is needed to remove the dampner. Installer depends on the threaded hole in the crankshaft or not.

there is no threaded hole in the crank, just a pilot hole about a 1/2 deep.

how difficult is it to remove the drive?