Outdrive parts needed? And introduction.

bmantlow

Recruit
Greetings, My name is Benjamin Mantlow, everybody calls me Benny. Kept stumbling across this site trying to identify an oil leak on my outdrive and found this place to be a wealth of knowledge, so I decided to join. Boat has be parked for a few years due to me having some health problems. We had it out about 6 times this year, the last trip the warning bell came on and I found the drive oil monitor bottle low, so refilled it on the lake, got home and found drive oil leaking from what I now know is the shift shaft seal.(thanks to iboats and manuel #14)

1. Where can I get a list of all parts and part #'s needed for replacing shift shaft seal and water pump impellor? I pulled the entire outdrive as a unit and then separated.

2. Do these parts have to be OEM, are there any after market replacments?

3. What selants, grease needed, can I get at auto supply?

1997 4.3 LX Gen+
Eng.# 0k014981
Drive 0k061180 Alpha one Gen II
Transom# 0k116622

Below is picture of oil leaking from seal before pulling outdrive and next pic of what looks like seal is cocked and unseated. Could seal have been installed improperly or does this system run under any pressure and literally, blew seal out?

Benny

Attachments

• Shift shaft seal leaking oil.pdf
    506 KB · Views: 1
  • Cocked Seal.pdf
    489 KB · Views: 1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive parts needed? And introduction.

The seal is pushed clear up out of the bushing, you need to order a complete new bushing assemble Merc PN 23-815921A10.
When installed, drain all the gear lube and pressure check the drive to make sure all the leaks are fixed.

One of these

Untitled2.jpg

bmantlow

Recruit

Thanks, Eric and Don.

From what I've read on these boards I should maybe replace the impeller while I have lower unit off. Before I disassemble the water pump, do I just have to replace the impeller and possibly reuse o-rings and gaskets if they look good?

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks, Eric and Don.

From what I've read on these boards I should maybe replace the impeller while I have lower unit off. Before I disassemble the water pump, do I just have to replace the impeller and possibly reuse o-rings and gaskets if they look good?

Buy the impeller replacement kit that has new gaskets/orings and the quad seal that goes between the upper and lower oil passage.

bmantlow

Recruit

The seal is pushed clear up out of the bushing, you need to order a complete new bushing assemble Merc PN 23-815921A10.
When installed, drain all the gear lube and pressure check the drive to make sure all the leaks are fixed.

One of these

View attachment 165044

Buy the impeller replacement kit that has new gaskets/orings and the quad seal that goes between the upper and lower oil passage.

Don, Can I buy this bushing assy. Merc PN 23-815921A10. on iboats, if so I can't find it.

oldjeep, Is this something I would have to buy off this site, I can't find it here.

oldjeep

Admiral

Don, Can I buy this bushing assy. Merc PN 23-815921A10. on iboats, if so I can't find it.

oldjeep, Is this something I would have to buy off this site, I can't find it here.

Here is my .02 - the parts search on iboats is horrible. I usually find small parts on another site that will remain nameless and either buy them there or get them at my local marine dealer.

This should help and not tick off iBoats ;) You can look up the sierra part numbers in their catalog here:
http://ww2.sierramarine.com/sierra/catalogjava/category.asp

Or
http://www.sierramarine.com/sierra/2012sierra/2012searchmain.html