Where do I put hydraulic oil for 1978 Mercruiser 180 ?

Mikecouil

Cadet
Purchased at auction last Saturday 1978 Royal American with a Mercruiser 180 in it.<br /><br />Power tilt/trim won't come up and I'm guessing it's the fluid since it came up and down at the auction house. I can't find a resovoir or a cap anywhere. I followed the hydraulic lines from outside going in but they go to the tilt motor and I don't see any place to put the fluid. <br /><br />I realize it's a dumb question but I'd hate to pay 120.00 for the marina to show me.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where do I put hydraulic oil for 1978 Mercruiser 180 ?

not familiar with a mercruiser 180<br />any how you probably have a prestolit pump<br />there are 2 screws on pump phillips head is the ventmust be loose<br />below that there is a flat head remove flat head screw with unit down oil should be at bottom of screw threads top up as requied and look for leaks<br />hope this helps

Mikecouil

Cadet

Thanks a ton. It's dark out now but I'll certainly give that a shot tommorrow. I really appreciate the advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" means anything, here's a picture.<br /><br />
Prestolite%20trim%20pump.png