Need 2 parts, where to buy / can use regular auto parts

70Cougar

Seaman Apprentice
There are two parts I need for my '86 MCM140. Normally I know you don't want to run auto parts on a marine engine due to corrosion, but I was wondering if these parts may be OK to do it with. Either way, I'd like to also know where is a good place to get them.

• Alternator Bracket- Mercruiser P/N 58333. The current one is split on both sides, I've seen these split on top or bottom before, but never both sides, probably b/c if they split on both sides the people replaced it. Whoever worked on mine last had the tensioning bolt right over the splits & that's what was causing my squealing (belt was extremely loose). I may just try to weld this if I can dig my welder out.
    Capture-MercruiserAltBracket-PN 58333.JPG

• Carburetor Air Horn, or the top cover of carburetor. Mercruiser P/N 8874. The part that holds the flame arrestor on is broken off on each side of the air inlet, & thus the flame arrestor is currently only held down by gravity and where the PCV hose attaches.
    Capture-MercarbAirHorn-PN 8874.JPG

harleyman1975

Ensign
Re: Need 2 parts, where to buy / can use regular auto parts

Weld away if you are any good it should be fine. take the list number off of the carb to an auto parts house and see if the can match it up with a carb they sell.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You CANNOT replace a marine carburetor with an automotive carburetor. They have to be marine. For the bracket you can use whatever you want.

Bondo

Staff member

There are two parts I need for my '86 MCM140. Normally I know you don't want to run auto parts on a marine engine due to corrosion, but I was wondering if these parts may be OK to do it with. Either way, I'd like to also know where is a good place to get them.

• Alternator Bracket- Mercruiser P/N 58333. The current one is split on both sides, I've seen these split on top or bottom before, but never both sides, probably b/c if they split on both sides the people replaced it. Whoever worked on mine last had the tensioning bolt right over the splits & that's what was causing my squealing (belt was extremely loose). I may just try to weld this if I can dig my welder out.
    View attachment 165017

• Carburetor Air Horn, or the top cover of carburetor. Mercruiser P/N 8874. The part that holds the flame arrestor on is broken off on each side of the air inlet, & thus the flame arrestor is currently only held down by gravity and where the PCV hose attaches.
    View attachment 165018

Ayuh,.... The bracket, you can weld, make yer own, or modify whatever you can find,...

The carb top, I'd hunt down a junker/ used carb somewhere.... ebay, whatever...

If that's a Mercarb, it ain't gonna be found in an Auto application anyways...
The ole Rochester, I don't know...

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bond-o lookin down the throat it looks like a mercarb, automotive and marine don't mix in most situations, dont try it .....its a big no way not a chance. failure is the end result wheather by fire or it totally dying on ya. do it right the first time, your passengers lives and your are riding on your good handi work.....that's my way of thinking though.

verbious

Seaman Apprentice

Can you take a better picture of the damage? A long screw holds the air cleaner/spark arrestor down. I would just weld/repair the bracket.

70Cougar

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to mention a few things; I don't plan to replace the whole carburetor, ONLY the top cover, which is known as the "Air Horn". Also the pics from yesterday were not of my actual parts. I did take a couple last night and they are below. You can see the broken piece that goes across the choke plate attached to the hold down bolt of the flame arrestor, and where it went inside the choke plate at the 2 pointy things opposite each other. The carb is a definitely a Mercarb per the green tag {Mercruiser MCM120/140, 1389-9350}, but from the diagrams I've found it looks identical to the Rochester used on these boat engines. The part is cast, so the only fix I can think to try would be to use some epoxy or cold weld like JB Weld.

2012-08-21_20-18-06_Mercarb-FlmArstr1.jpg

2012-08-21_20-18-19_Mercarb-FlmArstr2.jpg

2012-08-21_20-18-34_Mercarb-FlmArstr3.jpg

Here's a diagram from Marine parts plus's website. They don't list the Air Horn seperately for the Mercarb, even though the diagram shows it as part 1. If you click on the Rochester carburetor from Marine Parts Plus- Mercruiser Model 140 GM 181 I/L4 1982-1986
, then you can see it as part 1 again and a p/n of 8874, but is NLA (No Longer Available) anyway.

2012-08-22_10-41-14_Mercarb-AirHornMrnPrtPls.jpg

verbious

Seaman Apprentice

Check this link to help ID your carb a little better: http://www.sterndrives.com/carbkits.html You will have to probably scour eBay or your local Marine Junkyard to find a junk carb that will serve as a donor or replacement for the broken piece. I just know if a cold weld like JB weld would hold up

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

For the part that is broken I certainly wouldn't be afraid to try some JB Weld and see if it works. As long as it doesn't interfere with the butterfly valve you will be fine.

verbious

Seaman Apprentice

I wouldn't want to have a piece of JB Weld come off and go through an intake valve.

70Cougar

Seaman Apprentice

Check this link to help ID your carb a little better: http://www.sterndrives.com/carbkits.html You will have to probably scour eBay or your local Marine Junkyard to find a junk carb that will serve as a donor or replacement for the broken piece. I just know if a cold weld like JB weld would hold up

Thank you for the link. That explains why the 2 carb diagrams (Rochester & Mercarb) look the same. Mine definitely is the Mercarb though b/c the green tag seen in the pictures above says 'Mercarb' on it, not Mercruiser as I wrote before. My green aluminum tag is stamped:

Mercarb
MCM120/140
1389-9350

Also, everyone should bookmark that link b/c in the 'Mercruiser Help' section they have very good plain english explanations on how to do a lot of the repairs or test / troubleshoot problems. In fact I just sent the link to my friend who has a '96 Sea Ray 175 with 3.0L Alpha Gen II. He had the bellows replaced and the exhaust bellows keeps coming off. Great info on there, he might find something on there to mention to his mechanic, who 'should have' known already what to do so they don't keep coming off. Sites like that are great so you can have a background knowledge even if you don't do very much of your own work.

Good points on the JB Weld. Part of me wants to try it, but then again that wouldn't be good if it came off & got sucked into the engine. It's not too big of a deal b/c the PCV hose keeps the flame arrestor in place & who knows how long the PO ran it like it is. I will probably try to find a junk carb on ebay or at a boat junk yard. Ideally I would be able to find just the top (air horn), but if not I'll have a spare carb for parts.