Mercruiser 454 Loosing Coolant Out Exhaust

broncopower

Cadet
Hi All,

I have a 1982 Chris Craft Catalina with a 1990-93 GM Tonawanda 1/2 FWC engine. I forget the exact year, and there is no hour meter. Last summer, the engine overheated in Baltimore harbor, and I idled back to my dock with a strong thunderstorm approaching. There was a lot of steam, no water flow out the exhaust, and very hot manifolds & risers. I replaced the manifolds & risers, having to deal with striped & rusted bolts from the brackish water. I also replaced the impeller, thermostat, sea ****, and had the heat-exchanger re-welded due to an internal leak. I also replaced the spark plugs and tested compression, which looked good. I forget the exact numbers, but they were all in the same range.

Upon start up this summer, all seemed well. I replaced the gas & added some seafoam. Water flow out the exhaust was good, and no white steam! I headed out of the dock, and the engine overheated, so I idled back to the dock again! The heat exchanger was empty of anti-freeze, with no apparent leaks. The next week, I filled the heat exchanger with coolant, and changed the engine oil. The oil looked good, and I didn't notice any milky color or funky smell. I planned to remove the spark plugs to look for coolant, but they are a PITA to get to. I started the engine, and it ran smooth without smoke. However, I noticed green clouds out of the exhaust, and could scoop up hand fulls of antifreeze coming out of the exhaust. I turned the engine off, and noticed a considerable loss of antifreeze in the heat exchanger.

Thus, I figured there must be an internal leak in the riser gasket. I foolishly over-torqued the riser bolts originally, and the stud broke off in the riser. I was able to remove the riser, but I have to use some left-hand drill bits to remove the broken stud, which is flush with the riser. I'm hoping I won't have to use "easy-outs":facepalm: The riser gasket split apart, so I will have to scrape it off the manifold & riser surfaces before installing new gaskets and bolts. I was surprised that the gasket is restricted, but I ordered the gasket kit with the manifolds & risers from a marine shop, so they must have been the right type, right?

Please give me any advise you can think of, and take a look at the attached picture of my cooling system re-assembly. I did not take a picture of the engine before removing the risers/manifolds originally, so I want to make sure the correct hoses are leading into the manifolds/risers. I can not find a 1/2 FWC diagram online.

Thanks
068.jpg069.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 454 Loosing Coolant Out Exhaust

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Well, since you have a 1/2 system, you won't have "Block-off" riser gaskets.

Raw water should flow through your heat exchanger then through your manifolds/risers and overboard.

From what little I can see in your picture, it appears that your risers are getting raw water and separate hoses are going to your manifolds suggesting a "full" system (like mine)

If you have been losing coolant, it's probably leaking in the heat exchanger into the raw water circuit.

You should pressure check the system to determine if it will hold pressure. It should easily hold 15 psi or so. If not, you have a leak that you will have to fix one way or another.

Cheers,

Rick

broncopower

Cadet

Thank you for the welcome Rick.

You are right, the heat exchanger sends water to the risers and coolant to the manifolds. I though that a full system is a closed coolant system, and a 1/2 system uses sea water to cool the antifreeze. Do I have my terminology wrong?

I took the heat exchanger to a radiator shop where they cleaned it, repaired a weld, changed the radiator cap, and pressure tested it. Once I put the new riser gaskets on, I will make sure to pressure test the system with a rental tool form advanced auto or somewhere.

One other question, is it normal for the thermostat housing to get very hot to the touch during operation? When I ran the engine, the risers were cold, but the t-housing was hot.

Thanks for all of the advise.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Looks to me like you have a Full sysytem and should have the block off plates.
Get the correct gaskets from your Merc dealer.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As Tony said, you have the full system and you need the block off gasket. The Mercruiser number for the gasket is 27-41811.
It has a thin SS plate built into the gasket.

View attachment #15 GM V8 89-92 577.pdf

broncopower

Cadet

Yep, I have a full system. "The 1/2 systems circulate glycol thru the engine block only, where as full systems circulate glycol thru the engine and exhaust manifolds."

This is the gasket that I installed that came with the manifolds & risers:

restricted gasket.jpg

Should I purchase a completely blocked off gasket like this:

27-8637251__98164_zoom.jpg

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Yes........get the p/n Don posted.

broncopower

Cadet

Alright,

Just ordered gasket 27-41811 and the riser studs & bolts. Next step is to use some left-hand drill bits to remove the broken stud in the manifold, and then re-install the risers with the correct gaskets. I plan to torque the bolts to 27 foot-pounds, and re-tighten after the first use. Thanks for all of the help. Any one have any tips for removing the broken bolt?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I have a full system. "The 1/2 systems circulate glycol thru the engine block only, where as full systems circulate glycol thru the engine and exhaust manifolds."

This is the gasket that I installed that came with the manifolds & risers:

Should I purchase a completely blocked off gasket like this:

View attachment 164971

Yes. With a "Full' system, you'll use gaskets that look like one above.

By the way, although you have (full) closed cooling, you still need to carefully inspect your risers for excessive rust and possible blockage.

broncopower

Cadet

Hi All,

I spent 3 hours drilling a hole into the broken manifold stud with left-handed drill bits. Once I drilled through, I steeped up the drill bit 2 sizes, and the stud backed out effortlessly! I installed the correct riser gaskets, and the boat is running great. No overheating!

Thanks for all of your help.