mercruiser stern drive

harvey_49

Recruit
I think I need a used stern drive for 1968 mercruiser i/o 120 hp. Will not stay engaged in gear (like it is in neutral). I need to know whatwil fit my out drive, either just the lower part or the whole stern drive w/o gimble. Serial # on stern drive is #2414952. I have been told it is a mercruiser II. What will interchange? Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercruiser stern drive

you need to know what is actually wrong and not just throw parts at it.
have you removed the drive to inspect anything?

harvey_49

Recruit

We know its bad because when we bought it there was no oil at all in it. We are trying to find out exactly what our outdrive is and what will match up. We have seen alot of afla1 and pre afla but dont know what will match up. We found a alfa 1 for a real good price but dont want to buy it then find out we waisted our money. We are new to the boating scence and just trying to get on the water. Can someone please help?

Bondo

Staff member

I think I need a used stern drive for 1968 mercruiser i/o 120 hp. Will not stay engaged in gear (like it is in neutral). I need to know whatwil fit my out drive, either just the lower part or the whole stern drive w/o gimble. Serial # on stern drive is #2414952. I have been told it is a mercruiser II. What will interchange? Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I can't run a serial number,....

But,... If you do in fact have a mercruiser II,.... Nothing is even Close to swapable with it,....

It's a beast all it's own...

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Serial number doesn’t come up in Merc data base.
Might want to post a picture or two?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What would be really helpful, is knowing your location. I have an excellent source for obsolete Merc outdrive parts...but as others have said, you need to know exactly what is the problem first. Otherwise, you are just throwing money at it.