Mercruiser questions with introduction to self.

Hello all, my name is Mike Wood. ?folks call me Woody?.

I kept stumbling on to this site as I tried to research a problem I was having. More and more I began to look around and I liked what I saw so I decided to become a member. Currently I have a bit of a project going. My father, who is pushing 80 and headed down hill, gifted me an 18 ft 1969 Century Buccaneer with a Mercruiser Inboard/Outboard Stern Drive.

Now upfront I have to say a couple of things; Although this boat is nice, ?it?s better than anything I have ever owned?, it hasn?t been in the water in over 5 years and it will take more than just a few dollars to fix it up. I am ashamed to say that even with all my endeavors at age 50 I am still living pay check to pay check and will desperately try to acquire the skills necessary to complete this task. I doubt this boat will ever amount to much as far as market value goes but it carries a huge value of sentiment. I never knew my father much as I grew up. He was in the military during the Vietnam War era and just as he retired from the Air Force I rebelliously joined the Army. ?I know, I know, Should of went with the Air Force!? 30 years later I have literally been around the world and continue to be embedded with the military. I spent close to 16 years overseas and one day I decided I wanted to be an American again. I finely landed about 300 miles away from my dad and enjoy his company now as much as ever. Hopefully, this boat will serve as a fond reminder of him for many years to come.

Back to the boat!
After a few maintenance checks and an impromptu mini-service I took the boat out on the water to see where we stood. I spent about an hour learning how to use the 3 position trim switch but still had to stand on the motor to get the trim to go down. So that was problem number one. It started up quickly and after I spent awhile cruising close to the dock I took it to open water and opened it up. I must say at first I was rather impressed. It ran just fine right up to around 35 miles then all of a sudden the engine just cut power. I quickly grabbed the throttle and brought it back to neutral. To my surprise the engine was still idling. Everything seemed to check out and I could not find any problems so I opened her up and cruised around some more. It shot right out of the hole and was on plain quickly. After several minutes of full speed, wham! All forward propulsion gone instantly. This process was consistent. If I idled around there was no problem but it only sustained full power for several minutes. Of course I suspected fuel supply as the culprit. That was problem number two.

I brought it back home and tore into the fuel system. He had stored the boat with the fuel tank disconnected and drained but the fuel tank was horrible inside. I replaced the fuel lines and cleaned out the tank best as I could. At home it ran just fine. I took it to the lake this weekend. Same, Same! Stand on the motor to get it to go down, motor quits after a few minutes of full power. Sometimes it took a while to start again but if I kept my hand on the throttle I could quickly go back to neutral and take off again. During one of these waiting periods, I heard water leaking. I looked in the hull and found a leak coming from the bellows around the drive shaft. I took it back home and yep, Bellows are shot. So there is Problem #3.
With the help of the service manual I took the Stern Drive off. Found multiple problems in this area. The upper gear oil is contaminated heavily with water, the
U-joints are extremely rusted, and the internal water cooling system is heavily coated with a calcium crust.

I think I can figure out problems number 1 through 3, ?I?m now leaning towards an air restriction problem for the sudden loss of power?, but will gladly except any advice on everything. Like, what might be the cause of the water contamination? How does a person clean calcium from coolant galleys? And man the amount of special tools needed for all of this is mind cramping.

I believe I have a pre-Alpha 1 Stern Drive with a 160 hp Mercruiser. I say I believe it is a pre-alpha 1 because the owner?s manual just calls it a Mercuriser stern drive. On the internet I see the term used as pre-alpha. Right now I am looking for a service kit to buy but am slowly figuring all this out.

Sorry this rant took so long but it was kind of a way for me to organize my thoughts and develop a path forward. I hope to have the boat floatable again by spring and see if the Ol? Man wants to do a little Crappie fishing. Have a good one, Woody.

br0

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser questions with introduction to self.

Well the first thing that would be on my mind is the upcoming winter. Are you going to work on this every hour of daylight, both days, each weekend until it is finished, hopefully before the first freeze?

By running the boat you de-winterized it. Make plans to lay the boat up where it wont freeze to avoid cracking the block/manifolds/risers. I would think a garage attached to the house would work if you have one and the boat fits.

Was it a saltwater boat or freshwater?

You bring up a good point br0.

In my mind I thought I would get it all torn apart and weight for the parts to arrive. I guess I had better make ready for winter because it will more than likely be here before any of then arrive. Thanks for the heads up, Woody.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

After sitting for 5 years did you replace the lower unit water pump impeller? Did you check that it was cooling at all before running it? If the answer to either question is no, you have probably overheated the engine several times, which would explain the loss of power. I would do a compression test before putting any money into anything else on that boat.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Welcome to the site Woody..........

Go to the top of this forum and read all the stickys......Next get your motor and drive serial numbers and keep handy for reference.

Alotta folks on here to help get you and your father out by the spring!

Best of Luck!

Welcome Woody....

Back in '69 the 160 was mated with a MC-1 drive. There really is no pre alpha, it's a term thrown around for anything before the Alpha One, which was about 20-years of outdrives.

Attachments

• models till '76.pdf
    179 KB · Views: 0

Yes before I ran it at the lake I hooked up the muffs to it and watched the temp gauge. It did not go any further than mid-green. However........
Today I took apart the lower end and was going to inspect the pump assembly. I found a lot of rust and dirt packed into the cavity where the drive gear is. "see attached pic". That can't be good. I still have not looked at the pump. I am still trying to figure out where all the material came from.

Attachments

• 1345496277864.jpg
    1345496277864.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

Thanks for the tip on the MC1. Good to know for the service kit I will need.

I checked out the Gimbal Berrings by turning them by hand. Sounds like rubbing two sticks together, they will have to be replaced as well. Here is a few more pics of my adventure.

Attachments

• 1345405478579.jpg
    1345405478579.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1345496291107.jpg
    1345496291107.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1345496332424.jpg
    1345496332424.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1345496422920.jpg
    1345496422920.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes before I ran it at the lake I hooked up the muffs to it and watched the temp gauge. It did not go any further than mid-green. However........
Today I took apart the lower end and was going to inspect the pump assembly. I found a lot of rust and dirt packed into the cavity where the drive gear is. "see attached pic". That can't be good. I still have not looked at the pump. I am still trying to figure out where all the material came from.

That looks like silt from the river. My lower unit had some crap like that in it. There is a drain hole on the right side of my Alpha-1 down low. It was clogged up with all this dirt. Now I make a habit of forcing water into that hole and make sure I can see water spilling over the top of the lower foot. Now it stays nice and clean in that area.

Glad your pop and you are spending some time together. I lost my dad back in 1996. He was only 59. I sure do miss getting drunk on bourbon and coke and cooking French gourmet food with him (that's what killed him so early). We had some really fun times together. Also: WHAT!?!?! I'm not the only 50 year old living paycheck to paycheck??? Do you also have a retirement nest egg amounting to about $3000? But not to worry, social security will be there for sure. No problem. :facepalm:

You've got a lot of work ahead of you. Before you dive into the engine/outdrive, what shape is the hull in? Is the transom sound? How about the floor and stringers? That's an expensive keepsake. I've got less expensive sentimental tokens of my dad...his Alabama State Trooper shield, autographed picture of him in his late 20s posing with Marty Robbins, some really cool Smith & Wesson patches (he was on the State Marksmanship Team). I didn't get his service revolver because my estranged, wicked step-mom was such a ***** about giving us anything of his. Ironically, her son--my half brother--committed suicide with that pistol. She should have just given me the damned pistol.:mad: Years later she did give us the items I mention previously. Part of her 12 step program. Do I sound bitter?:D

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

putting it on muffs can hide a bad impeller since the pressure from the hose circulates the water even if the impeller is bad. once it's on the lake it will overheat, been there. had to rebuild the entire top end of my 5.7 because of it.

tkz

Seaman Apprentice

Spend as much time with you Dad as you can for now Woody, life's short!

So I dove into the pump last night and I am a little confused. The Rubber Impeller seems to be larger than the housing that it goes in. Of course I have never changed one of these out before but I would of thought that it should turn fairly easy. This impeller is so tight that it can not even begin to be turned by hand. I saw somewhere that the impeller ends should not be curverd, well that is the only way this impeller will even fit into the pump housing. You have to twist and push it. If you take it out of the housing one can see that the impeller ends extend beyound the circle of the housing that it fits in.

I entend to replace it but can anyone tell me if this type of a fit is correct or is my impeller oversized? Thanks, Woody.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Post a pic, but it should be a tight fit. The vanes are bent when installed. Do you have a manual?

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

what your describing is exactly how it goes together. The manual will have pics.

Here are some links for you to check out from the "Adults Only" sticky:
There is a whole lot more there than this.......
Miscellaneous Mercruiser Information

How to ID an Alpha Style Outdrive, and History.
http://www.4shared.com/file/21385430...nd_Histor.html
This can be used to check the year of your engine, drive, and transom shield by serial number.
http://www.4shared.com/document/TcRI..._SN_range.html

How To: Replacing Merc Alpha style impeller
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=387864

How To: Pressure test a Mercruiser stern drive
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....4743&p=3556035

Checking Stern Drive Unit Seawater Pickup Pump Output – MerCruiser I through Alpha I Stern Drives.

Engine Alignment
This thread covers everything you need to know about engine alignment.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2971085

Service Manuals
While you may not be able to download them from this link, you can look at them and get the info you need.
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So there is Problem #3.
With the help of the service manual I took the Stern Drive off. Found multiple problems in this area. The upper gear oil is contaminated heavily with water, the
U-joints are extremely rusted, and the internal water cooling system is heavily coated with a calcium crust.

Howdy and welcome aboard!

In view of the above, you might consider replacing the drive either with a good used one or possibly a new SEI
drive. I think you can buy them right here on iBoats!

http://www.sterndrive.cc/index.htm

Cheers,

Rick

"In reference to my pump impeller",

Ok checked out some pics, looks like that is exactly how mine fits. I somehow thought it would be easier to turn. Thanks a bunch for all the references. Honestly without them I would not have a clue as to what I was doing. This website has really got some helpful people in it and I hope to someday contribute as well.

I'm going to be taking a break from working on the boat. I will be making plans to go archery hunting back home with the family. When I get back I will attempt to remove the Gimbal assembly and replace the bearing. Before I shift my focus I will spray all the bolts with penetrating fluid in hopes a long soak time will help some. Also I am trying to get the special tools that I will need for the bearing removal. Probably have to special order the slide hammer. This delay in the action also allows time for the gasket kits to come in. I'll post up if there are any new developments, Woody .