Acceleration Problems with '97 Mercruiser Mag 350 (carb)

itshowtyme825

Recruit
hey guys im new to this website and i recently purchased a 22' scarab powerboat with a mercruiser 350 mag. the guy i purchased from just had the motor freshened up two yrs ago (pisotns, crank, etc) and he also added a mild cam with some porting/polishing done to heads along with a holley marine carb (650 CFM-model 4175 part#0-80552). the few weekends out on the boat it seems to run "ok" with a cold motor, however the as the day goes on, its harder to get on step sometimes even having to get 2 people to crawl on the front of the boat and seems like the engine wont "Rev" under the load. No matter if i slowly ease into the throttle or "nail it" from a dead stop. While the engine is in neutral there are no issues with idling or reving and once the boat does get on step it runs fine. looking at the carb with the spark arrestor off the front two jets are dumping alot of fuel and the two rear butterflies never open, and when i manually open them the motor bogs down. it seems as if its way too rich and doesnt allow the motor to rev under a load. i have tried two differnet props (mirage 3 blade 23p, and a bravo 1 4 blade 22p) and the problem still exists seems like a fuel problem. any suggetsions?? before i hunt down a factory carb?. i just want my engine to rev quickly while trying to get on step.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Acceleration Problems with '97 Mercruiser Mag 350 (carb)

and the problem still exists seems like a fuel problem.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.. I agree,.... But I don't do Holleys, 'n Mercruiser never used 'em,....

itshowtyme825

Recruit
Re: Acceleration Problems with '97 Mercruiser Mag 350 (carb)

what do you suggest i run with this motor?