Mercruiser 228 / Chev 305 Oil Capacity

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi. I have a simple question, but one which I don't seem to be able to find the answer to...
After draining the oil through the dipstick and changing the filter how much oil would normally be required to refil the sump?

Re: Mercruiser 228 / Chev 305 Oil Capacity

I don't know if they change oil pans thru the years or not.... and you didn't put the year in your question....

Here this is from service manual #3 which covers from '78 to '84.

You should have a manual if you own a boat, it covers routine maintenance in it as well which every boat owner should be doing.

Attachments

• Man 3 capacity pic.PDF
    89.5 KB · Views: 2

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The real simple way to determine this would be to add four quarts and see where the oil level is on the dip stick. Then keep adding until it shows full.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The ONLY way to do it is as Silvertip stated. The oil capacity can vary depending on how much was removed and how much is still in the oil passages. You DO NOT want to overfill above the full line on the dipstick.

The capacity in the manual is for an engine that is completely empty. The chart that Eric provided is for the MIE engines which are straight inboards, not IO's. The IO's only list 5-1/2 with filter in the chart.

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies, gents. I agree that the best way is to monitor dipstick level while refilling, but I guess the question I was meaning to ask was: how much oil do I need to buy, one bottle or two?

Cheers