1990 24' Arriva open bow with 350 magnum alpha; water in my oil; opinions please??

arriva2450

Cadet
Well, I just found the cause for my Arriva overheating since it was first launched this summer season. It overheated after 5 minutes the first time it was launched. Could not find any particular reason other than possibly slightly lower water pressure from the intake due to a slightly worn impeller. After some checked I found quite a bit of water in the oil. My mechanic said it is either a cracked block or warped heads. Either way he said this would require the engine to be pulled and major labour and parts or full rebuild. He quoted me anywhere from 4k$ to 7k$ depending whether it is the heads (4k$) or a cracked blocked (7k$).

Would really appreciate some input of what you would recommend? Is the boat worth the rebuild? Or should I sell the boat and trailer as a package - mechanic said I would be lucky to get 4k$ that way. Or should I gut every removal piece from the boat, motor, and drive and sell individually on ebay.

Or would you suggest there are other possibilities of the water in my oil, and that there may be lower cost options to repair it.

Just wanting some suggestions, as I'm really confused on what to do.

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 24' Arriva open bow with 350 magnum alpha; water in my oil; opinions please?

find a better shop, its not $4K for a head job.
How hot did it get? smoking, steaming, on fire hot?
heads can be pulled with motor in boat for inspection.gasket blowout will be evident.

scarpint

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1990 24' Arriva open bow with 350 magnum alpha; water in my oil; opinions please?

Based on the way he spells "Labour", I'm thinking these are Canadian prices????