Mercruiser 3.7 Ignition Timing

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need some info. My 3.7 has been upgraded to electronic ignition. Manual says ignition timing should be 4 degrees BTDC, but that's with points/condenser. Should it be different with electronic ignition?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.7 Ignition Timing

Assuming you just used a Pertronix or similar addition to your points distributor, same timing.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any specific way I could tell? Previous owner installed it. They did leave the old points, condenser in a plastic bag under the seat, so I'm assuming that was their process.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you have a conversion since the took only the points out. Take the cap off and take a picture of what's inside, that should tell the story. I don't really think anyone makes a replacement electronic distributor for the 3.7's, but then again, I never looked.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you have a conversion since the took only the points out. Take the cap off and take a picture of what's inside, that should tell the story. I don't really think anyone makes a replacement electronic distributor for the 3.7's, but then again, I never looked.

Don, didn't get a picture yet, only because I was absorbed in getting things running well, however, the 4 degrees really did the trick. I found the timing was about 8 to 10 degrees AFTER TDC, so once I rolled it back to 4 before, my idle came up and when testing it in the driveway, I wasn't getting any backfires when giving it quick throttle blips. Lake testing will follow, but thanks much for your input!!!!!