Oil leaking from flywheel housing

Finnerty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oil is leaking from my flywheel housing at 3000 rpm, but not at 1800 rpm. There are breather holes on either side of the housing, about 1/2" square in size that oil weeps from at the higher rpms, at about 1/4 quart per hour. Is my rear oil seal shot (the engine was rebuilt only 200 hours ago)? Is there an adjustment for the seal?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oil leaking from flywheel housing

Oil is leaking from my flywheel housing at 3000 rpm, but not at 1800 rpm. There are breather holes on either side of the housing, about 1/2" square in size that oil weeps from at the higher rpms, at about 1/4 quart per hour. Is my rear oil seal shot (the engine was rebuilt only 200 hours ago)? Is there an adjustment for the seal?

Ayuh,.... Unless a cam welch plug is leakin', the rear main is gotta be it,...

'n No,... No adjustments...

Finnerty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... Unless a cam welch plug is leakin', the rear main is gotta be it,...

'n No,... No adjustments...

"Cam welch plug", where is that located? There are two bolts near the breather holes on the flywheel housing, one hex head, one flathead screwdriver type that look like they may have something to do with this leak. The hex head one leaked oil just after the rebuild and was loose, so I tightened it....

Bondo

Staff member

"Cam welch plug", where is that located? There are two bolts near the breather holes on the flywheel housing, one hex head, one flathead screwdriver type that look like they may have something to do with this leak. The hex head one leaked oil just after the rebuild and was loose, so I tightened it....

Ayuh,.... Directly aft of the camshaft,... ahead of the flywheel...

Sounds like yer messin' with the dust cover,...
It should be Dry inside...