power stearing

Familytime10

Recruit
Hi,

Just got this boat and saw your response....I am unable to find a way to start a new thread. I have a 1992 magnum with a 4.3 mercruiser that I just bought recently and then repaired the exhaust manifolds from a bad epoxy job. After starting it and running it for 10 seconds, it busted the power steering return hose as it enters a temperature regulator tube that has engine water passing through under the Left exaust manifold. I thought I damaged it at first considering placement of it but then restarted it and had the aprox 1/2 soft black rubber hose in my hand when it swelled a lot in my hand and ripped some more spewing out ATF. what is likely here? I will replace the whose tomorrow just in case and buy water ears for the engine so I may run it for more than 15 seconds. c775-722-5520
MODEL MDM 4.3 1992
ENGINE S# 00811822
TRANSOM S# 0D745979
DRIVE S# 0D731326

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: power stearing

Even 10 seconds can be too long without water (i.e., "muffs")(also...what people "estimate" to be 10 seconds actually turns out to be much longer!).... In addition to the other work you are doing, have you considered checking your drive impeller? If you "recently bought" the boat, and you don't know what the condition of the impeller is, you had better plan on replacing it pronto (if not just for the reason discussed above). The "temperature regulator tube" you are referring to is the PS cooler, which, coincidentally, needs that same drive-supplied cooling water. Sounds like you need to replace the PS hoses at a minimum, and don't run without water!

Familytime10

Recruit

thanks ktbarrentine,

good info....and I did get the muffs. After replacing the 3/8 hydraulic line, it pushed it off both times after starting it with in 2 seconds. Tomorrow I will see if there is an obstruction on the PS cooler. When you say the impeller....I believe you mean the engine water pump....I needed to verify. Ok, I will open that up ....or can I verify it working another way?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

epoxy and freeze cracks , nice combination. that hose is a low pressure return and should not just pop off unless there is a restriction or the trans cooler is clogged or the clamps are too large. Never, Ever run an outdrive without a water supply. plan on replaceing the impeller in the drive before your first cruise.Do a search for a copy of manual6 for your drive.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

thanks ktbarrentine,

good info....and I did get the muffs. After replacing the 3/8 hydraulic line, it pushed it off both times after starting it with in 2 seconds. Tomorrow I will see if there is an obstruction on the PS cooler. When you say the impeller....I believe you mean the engine water pump....I needed to verify. Ok, I will open that up ....or can I verify it working another way?

No... I mean the out-drive impeller/water pump. You should do some research about your system to learn how the outdrive works and how it supplies water to the engine (and why it is so important to have a water supply). The stickys at the top of this forum should help you on your way. Best of luck! Separately, you definitely have an issue with your hydraulic power steering circuit that needs to be tracked down.