3.0 alternator pulley melted belt

ddttm

Cadet
I just got my new block in my boat and just got the engine going for about 5 minutes. the alternator/water pump belt started smoking so i shut her down. the belt continued to melt around the alternator pulley. I left it go till everything cooled down and the belt then was crispy at that spot and split due to brittle cracking. Anyone know what's going on?

I will say i did forget to take the battery charger off the battery when this was happening, I had a 10 amp charge going, also the battery was drained from me cranking the engine so much because I was dumb and took a good while to figure out the spark plug wire order on the cap.

Thanks for any input.

ddttm.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 alternator pulley melted belt

Does the alternator turn, or is it locked up and the belt has to slide on the pulley.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the alt froze up. Try spinning the pulley by hand

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Something ain't turning check all your pulleys for free spinning.

ddttm

Cadet

Does the alternator turn, or is it locked up and the belt has to slide on the pulley.

Spins freely. I just started the engine with a new belt, that was a trip to put on... Ran it for a minute, shut off, absolutely no heat anywhere. No battery charger hooked up this time but battery was still a little low on juice, just barely turned engine over to start it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The battery charger has nothing to do with it. A loose belt and the alternator trying to pump out a full charge could do it. Hard to say at this point. You need a tight belt that is in good shape. Rusty pulleys will eat belts and make them appear loose. You should also get the battery load tested.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Also make sure all the pullies are in line.